Are you eating out of the garden yet?

brewgal

Are you eating out of your garden yet this year? We haven't gotten anything out yet, but my parents have already gotten two squash and three tomatoes out of theirs!

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Oh yeah. We have done pickles, eaten just regular cucumbers, okra, peas, fried some green tomatoes and some peppers. Going to pull the Seminole pumpkins Friday or Saturday. Will be pulling a watermelon for Sunday. I usually pick on Sundays. Then there is the strawberries and blueberries, but I do not consider them part of the garden.

Attachments

porker

Our garden has been a total washout for months now. It's been the wettest few months ever, so we haven't been able to do anything. I've given up for this year and will have to start afresh next year if the weather is better.

wineywiney

I WISH!!!
I keep seeing holes in my back garden,
and there is a deep hole under a fence. So now there is all sorts of stuff missing, squashed,
and eaten. I hope its just a possum, but it could be something worse :(

minsky

I've had some of the onions that self-seed that come up every year. The onions I planted are big enough to use as green onions. I've had more luck with the herbs, and have been using them for weeks already. We had such a mild winter that they never really died back.

Tecca_Nina

I've had some of the onions that self-seed that come up every year. The onions I planted are big enough to use as green onions. I've had more luck with the herbs, and have been using them for weeks already. We had such a mild winter that they never really died back.
I wish the winters I got were mild. We don't even bother trying to grow anything.

We haven't even planted our garden yet! Well, other than tomatoes. We only plan to plant a few more vegetables, but we need to hurry up and plant them! If we wait much longer, it will be too late.

Kristin

Wow Jason! That is a lot of stuff. Sadly I just got our plants in the ground today, but I hope they will be producing soon. We planted several different kinds of tomatoes and squash, bell peppers, watermelons, cantelope, and strawberries. This is my first time to try growing any kind of fruit.

BrewJen

I do not currently have a garden, but luckily I have a friend with one. She just gave me some cucumbers, tomatoes, and green onions.

melli

Wow .... I live in NY and we just planted our garden yesterday. I went to an Amish greenhouse and bought all of our plants. We won't be eating anything for months. I envy those of you who are!

BeerBelly

Unfortunately, no we are not eating out of the garden just yet. I live in the Midwest and our planting season just started in the last week or so. I actually just put all my plants in the ground yesterday.

rayne

brewgal, you must be further south than me. My squash and cucumbers have just started coming up. Tomato and pepper plants are doing well but we need some consistently warm weather. This has been the craziest spring I have ever seen.

I am getting my stuff out now. I know the food I am getting is various, but it is something I am looking forward to. For example, my tomato plants are already getting rather large!

beckyv1265

My garden has been too dry this year. The soil is sandy and it looks like it has been baked in the sun. I plan to go down and try to plant some more this weekend . Its been such a strange spring here this year .

Waynefire

Yes, I just had some lettuce from the garden yesterday along with some peas! These were so sweet it was amazing. The only place I find quality that good is the farmers market, but I like my prices a lot better!

brewgal

We still haven't gotten anything out of the garden yet, but we are about to have tomatoes and squash coming out of our ears. I guess I need to get back on the hunt for a new Foodsaver this weekend so we can freeze some.

Wino

I'm thinking about starting a garden, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I am looking into a portable greenhouse. I'm not so sure I'll need one as we get sun pretty much year round.

beckyv1265

SO my garden has finaly gotten some rain and the local wild life is ecstatic. The deer have been happily frolicking around and eating all the fresh shoots. The squirrel are digging up all the seeds and pigging out. Lol I may have to leave a kid and the dog down at the garden to keep them at bay.

kelso

So far we tend to grow some baby bitter gourds and Malabar spinach (vine spinach) growing in our backyard garden. We cook and eat them when they are ripe. Those bitter gourds are good when cooked as omelette!