Gardening to brew

Discussion in 'Home Grown' started by arcadefire, Aug 12, 2010.

1. arcadefire

arcadefire New Member

I am working on a small crop of hops. They seem to be doing quite well. I think next year I would like to try barley and hops. I would really like to harvest both to use to brew with. Anyone else working on this?
  2. Frasier

Frasier New Member

No I'm not, at least not yet. But keep us posted because you might be able to teach us a thing or two about it all. For those of us wishing to live off the grid, it could be very helpful.
  3. Argonaut

Argonaut New Member

Arcadefire, that sounds like a very cool aspect of your home brewing. And I just opened a can of extract in my efforts...

I won't be trying that in the foreseeable future, because I don't have a garden plot in the city.
  4. KSmith

KSmith New Member

I have plenty of space and would like to grow what I need for brewing next year. Are hops easy to grow?
  5. dimples

dimples New Member

This sounds interesting but I do have one question about soil. When you are growing a garden to brew with. What type of soil is better. A more Alkaline soil or a more acidic one?
  6. Jason

Jason Charlie Mops wannabe Staff Member

If I had to the room I would like to grow my own. I think it would be fun and interesting to try.
  7. KSmith

KSmith New Member

Hops grows best in a sandy, well drained soil that has a pH between 6 and 7.5. On the pH scale, 7 is neutral and anything below 7 is acidic, so hops prefers soil that is neither too acid nor too alkaline.
  8. buster

buster New Member

How much time does it take to tend a decent harvest of hops? Are these the sort of plants you have to baby? Where are the best states in the USA to grow a hops garden?
  9. homemade

homemade New Member

I bet the hops would grow great here in Colorado where there is mostly that type of sandy soil. There are a lot of breweries here. I wonder if that is the reason.
  10. wild

wild Moderator

Try walking down Cherry Creek. There are quite a few wild hops growing there.
  11. drinker

drinker New Member

Wow not only are you brewing yourself but growing the ingredients also. I have to give it to you. That is awesome. I hope it turns out great for you.
  12. Glenda

Glenda New Member

Well, I don't want to sound too ignoramus, but what are hops? I am knew to the brewing world. I am a little bit overwhelmed.
  13. wild

wild Moderator

Per Wiki:

Hops are the female flower clusters (commonly called seed cones or strobiles), of a hop species, Humulus lupulus. They are used primarily as a flavoring and stability agent in beer, to which they impart a bitter, tangy flavor, though hops are also used for various purposes in other beverages and herbal medicine. Hops were cultivated continuously around the 8th or 9th century AD in Bohemian gardens in the Hallertau district of Bavaria and other parts of Europe. However, the first documented use of hops in beer as a bittering agent is from the eleventh century. Prior to this period, brewers used a wide variety of bitter herbs and flowers. Dandelion, burdock root, marigold, horehound (the German word for horehound means "mountain hops"), ground ivy and heather were often used prior to the discovery of hops. Hops are used extensively in brewing today for their many purported benefits, including balancing the sweetness of the malt with bitterness, contributing a variety of desirable flavors and aromas, and having an antibiotic effect that favors the activity of brewer's yeast over less desirable microorganisms. Historically, it is believed that traditional herb combinations for ales were abandoned when it was noticed that ales made with hops were less prone to spoilage.
    The hop plant is a vigorous climbing herbaceous perennial, usually trained to grow up strings in a field called a hopfield, hop garden or hop yard when grown commercially. Many different varieties of hops are grown by farmers around the world, with different types being used for particular styles of beer.

I guess I'm in a cut & paste mood today, sorry.

Wild
  14. KSmith

KSmith New Member

Hops can be grown in almost every state according to this article:

Growing Hops | Growing Hops Yourself

The article has a lot of information that is good for anyone just starting to grow hops.
  15. wild

wild Moderator

Just not where I live. The hops like sunlight but not the heat that comes with it here.
    It gets so hot in the desert that the rattlesnakes explode.
  16. wild

wild Moderator

17. BrewJen

BrewJen Member

I live in Florida, where the soil is really just sand with pretensions. Since hops like sand, perhaps they would do well out here, assuming they could handle the heat.
  18. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I am not working on this yet. I know that many people have started to grow their own items, but some people are having trouble in growing the items. I can just imagine this will really help you in saving a ton of money on the products you have to buy for brewing.