Rootbeer?

Wild Child

What flavors do you use to make rootbeer? I don't mean the flavorings you buy that are rootbeer flavored extract, but I'm talking the natural flavors you use to create the rootbeer flavor?

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
You can try this:
REAL Root Beer

5 quarts water
1/4 ounce hops
1/2 ounce dried burdock root
1/2 ounce dried yellow dock root
1/2 ounce dried sarsaparilla root
1/2 ounce dried sassafras root
1/2 ounce dried spikenard root
1 1 /2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp granulated yeast

Simmer herbs for 30 minutes. Add sugar, stir to dissolve. Cool to lukewarm, add yeast and stir well. Cover and let sit for 1 hour. Bottle as above.

I believe it is the sarsaparilla root that gives it the flavor. Or was it the sassafras.

Dolce

I have never been a soda drinker, but I do like the taste of rootbeer. I would love to be able to make my own, but looking at the list of ingredients, they seem uncommon to me. I wonder where I could get them. :rolleyes:

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
I can see if I can find another one. That one was in the database I have. The Sarsaparilla root and sassafras root are both ones I know are in all the recipes I have seen that do not use extract.

porker

I live in England and confess that I have never tried root beer. Looking at the recipe, is it similar to sarsaparilla or dandelion and burdock, two fizzy drinks we used to buy when I was a child?

Knert

I am sure that I could live off of rootbeer if my spouse allowed it. Its just that one drink that works anytime, a nice cold sip is great sitting out on the back porch watching life go by. :)

rocketman

I have never been a soda drinker, but I do like the taste of rootbeer. I would love to be able to make my own, but looking at the list of ingredients, they seem uncommon to me. I wonder where I could get them. :rolleyes:
I haven't been able to find them anywhere, especially the sassafras root, though once when I went camping we went out and got all the ingredients in nature (other than the yeast that is) and it was the best root-beer I'd ever had.

clarkdart

Speaking of rootbeer, has anyone here heard about a mixed drink that uses rootbeer? I caught something about it this weekend and I swear it confused me, I have never heard of a mixed drink that calls for rootbeer.

dkramarczyk

I have tried root beer from all natural ingredients before and I thought it was really good. I think I will have to try making this myself and see if I still like it. I don't know if it would help save money on soda, considering how many items go into making it, but it still seems worth a try.

My husband has made root beer before and even drank it on a regular basis. However, I have trouble finding root beer extract? Does anyone know where I can locate this item at because I would like to try to replicate the great taste my husband has said can be found with this drink!

DannyBoy

Where do you find these ingredients? Except for water, sugar and yeast, the rest seems to me like a list that you would find at Hogwart's Herbology.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Your best bet is home brewing stores. usually the bigger ones will carry stuff for soda too. Then there is always amazon.com

wineywiney

Root beer is really not my cup of tea. I know people who drink nothing but root beer all day all night, but thats not me. It tastes too much like cream soda to me...ick.

DannyBoy

The root beer extract is mixed with sugar, yeast and water. I really like the mix taste of soda and the brewed tea, perfect for every meal. I guess it's less carbohydrates than real soda.You end up with fizzy, delicious refreshing drink.

BrewJen

Root beer is really not my cup of tea. I know people who drink nothing but root beer all day all night, but thats not me. It tastes too much like cream soda to me...ick.
I love root beer, but then I also love cream soda. ;) Both are very particular tastes and my husband is on your side of the issue, but that just means more for me!

I haven't tried making any type of soda but it would be fun. I'd probably order from Amazon to get the necessary ingredients.

Thank you for the information on where to find this at. I will have to give it a shot the next time I am on Amazon shopping for a product. I know the local health food store for me did not carry it.

BeerBelly

I am to have to track down those ingredients because I love the taste of a good rootbeer. I think I can probably get them at my local health food store. They tend to have all the weird crazy things I ask for.

Waynefire

I love root beer and know the homemade is better then anything you can find in the store! The only problem I have is I forget to remove the pressure at times and this can lead to a huge mess!