Sassafras Tea

I have a ton of Sassafras trees in my back yard. I know that you can make root beer from the roots but how would you make the tea? Would you just steep some of the leaves in water?

BrewChick

My father-in-law use to make it. I don't exactly remember how he did it though. I want to say you dry the leaves first, but I'm not really sure. Hopefully, someone else will know and can help you!

I dried the leaves, and I also have some root I have dried. The only problem is what part of the sassafras tree to use: the leaves, the root, or the stems. The leaves are going to be weaker than the stems, and the stems weaker than the root.

WooWoo

I love sassafras so I would use the root if that's going to be the strongest flavor. Since you have all those trees, you could try to make it a few different ways and see what you like best.

Thanks a lot! I did a little research and I found out that sassafras tea is made using the root bark of the sassafras tree. All I know is that I'm about to do a lot of digging!

RobertMcC

Absolutely use the bark and the wood of the sassafras root. Dried sassafras leaves are ground to make file' powder for gumbo. Steam distilled and highly concentrated oil made from sassafras root bark contains a compound called "safrole" which is one of the precusors of Ecstasy. It takes tons to make it though. The root was also used to make sarsaparilla, used by some microbrewers for flavoring too. It is also an anticoagulant and it was told by the older people in my area of the country, that it thinned the blood and was a popular "tonic" for the springtime for cleansing the blood.

I do know that the use of sassafras as a beverage goes way back into the colonial times. Just to add, there was also a study of safrole done on lab rats. Basically, make sure that sassafras is not something you drink excessively.

RobertMcC

That's true Spicedorangetea. Of course no one told us that when we were growing up. We would always have a pot on the back of the stove. If you ran out of tea, you left the root in the pan and just added water. You could go almost all winter and just use one pot of sassafras root.

I am thinking of doing a little digging, literal digging that is, and get some roots. I have heard that it is best to gather the roots during the fall. Oh, by the way, I tried making saloop and it's pretty good!