What's the secret to making divinity?

Discussion in 'Candy making' started by daffodil, Dec 29, 2011.

1. daffodil

daffodil New Member

I am crazy about divinity, with or without pecans. But what's the secret to making it? My grandmother made it a few times, but it was kind of unpredictable in how it turned out. And she was a fantastic cook. I guess making divinity is somewhat of an art.
  2. naturally

naturally New Member

There are only two secrets I know. First, don't try to make divinity on a hot and humid day. You won't get any volume to it. Second, use a good stand mixer with a whisk attachment.

If you have a decent recipe and follow these two suggestions your divinity will be divine!
  3. Georgie

Georgie Member

OK, I have to ask, what on earth is "divinity"? It sounds like something you'd find in a church! I'm guessing that it's something to eat but it's not something we Brits are familiar with, that's for sure.
  4. daffodil

daffodil New Member

Divinity is a heavenly candy concoction made mostly with sugar and a few egg whites. I assume it is called divinity because, as naturally said, it is divine.

Thanks for the tips, naturally. It makes sense about the mixer. If it isn't airy enough, it doesn't even taste like divinity.
  5. peachrose

peachrose New Member

I haven't had any divinity since forever. It's wonderful with pecans. When I was growing up, we would get pecan log rolls that had divinity in the center. I don't remember for sure, but I think they had them at Cracker Barrel.
  6. clarinda

clarinda New Member

The biggest thing is to make sure its not too humid. It's the same for divinity and pralines. We have always lived in a very humid area. My mom always had to pick certain days to make divinity and pralines. Even then it was always a gamble due to the humidity.
  7. porker

porker New Member

I have never heard of this either. I'm thinking it's probably known as something else in England, as are quite a few things. It sounds like marshmallow, or if it's cooked, meringue?
  8. homecare

homecare New Member

It might be similar to something I had that was called meringue cookies, but it's not exactly the same. Divinity uses corn syrup and sugar, while meringue cookies use only sugar. Then, meringue cookies are baked after the egg whites are mixed with the sugar.

With divinity, technically the egg whites are never cooked. You cook the sugar, corn syrup and water. Then, you slowly pour that hot mixture into the egg whites as you continue to beat. So, the egg whites never go on the stove, but the hot mixture cooks them. With divinity you have to scoop them out and form them quickly or you will have one huge clump of divinity.

Paula Dean has shown a recipe for her mother's divinity.