White scummy skin a few days after primary racking

Discussion in 'alt.beer.home-brewing' started by PeterB, Jan 30, 2007.

1. PeterB

PeterB Guest

2 weeks ago I racked 5 gallons and after 5 days a white skin appeared on the top.
    I asked the local brew store and was told it was caused by a benign yeast. It wouldn't affect the taste, but was near impossible to get rid of.
    I cleaned the carboy, racking cane and tube as well as I could BUT!!
    The last batch I racked on saturday has just developed the same white scum on top.
    Do I have to throw the carboy or does anyone know how I can stop the rot?

Any answers greatfull received

PeterB

--------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
    ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
    -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-
  2. Randal

Randal Guest

> Do I have to throw the carboy or does anyone know how I can stop the rot?
    >
    > Any answers greatfull received
    >

What are you using to sanitize that carboy? Also, how does the beer
    taste that has had the film on top?

_Randal
  3. harsley

harsley New Member

Just soak everything in a mild bleach solution for at least 24 hours. Just sanitize everything really, really well. I know there are some things that you just can't get rid of but...just sanitize everything that came in contact with the beers.
  4. Vater

Vater Guest

If it doesn't kill you and it tastes good I wouldn't worry about it. Does it taste better? Have you stumbled onto something? You may have been visited by aliens. LOL

Sounds like you need to sterilise properly. But even if you do the contaminent may be in your room, it may be you, a friend, your dog? Could it be a change in your water?

I had a couple of bad batches with the heat : South Australia 35 - 40 C but this last one is going along nice. I think above all I spent a couple of days cleaning & sterilising leaving sterilising agent in my barrel over night for 2 nights. Lots of boiling water, all that work for 25 ltrs of heaven. I think that's what you're going to have to do, Lots of cleaning.

Good luck matee. :) Beer... lowering mens standards through the ages. mmm... Beer

--
    This is a warning & disclaimer: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the recipient to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient &/or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the originator of this message by returning it to the sender noting the error & then please delete all copies you have made of this e-mail securely thank you. While all care is taken for protection by Antiviral Software, it is the recipient's responsibility to ensure that any attachments are scanned for viruses prior to opening. All story document/s, file/s, link/s, details included in this e-mail are for the intended e-mail recipient's informational purposes only. I am not your attorney. The information I present here is not legal advice. I present this information for informational purposes only. This document is written without prejudice.
    "PeterB" <PeterB2home.alone.drinking.homebrew> wrote in message news:45bfd922$0$31481$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
    2 weeks ago I racked 5 gallons and after 5 days a white skin appeared on the top.
    I asked the local brew store and was told it was caused by a benign yeast. It wouldn't affect the taste, but was near impossible to get rid of.
    I cleaned the carboy, racking cane and tube as well as I could BUT!!
    The last batch I racked on saturday has just developed the same white scum on top.
    Do I have to throw the carboy or does anyone know how I can stop the rot?

Any answers greatfull received

PeterB

--------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
    ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
    -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-
  5. PeterB

PeterB Guest

I also posted this message in rec.crafts.brewing and got a few
    replies.
    I seems it is a benign wild yeast causing the problem floating around
    in my basement where I brew. this is my answer to them.

I racked a batch last sunday in the same sterilized carboy I had the
    problem with, and wednesday the white skin was back on top.

I will be sterilising all my equipment for the next few days and hope
    that will be the last I see of the white scum.
    BTW even though it's only a week in the keg the beer doesn't seem to
    taste bad. It can only get better with age

thanks again

PeterB

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:47:12 -0500, "PeterB"
    <PeterB2home.alone.drinking.homebrew> wrote:

>2 weeks ago I racked 5 gallons and after 5 days a white skin appeared on the top.
    >I asked the local brew store and was told it was caused by a benign yeast. It wouldn't affect the taste, but was near impossible to get rid of.
    >I cleaned the carboy, racking cane and tube as well as I could BUT!!
    >The last batch I racked on saturday has just developed the same white scum on top.
    >Do I have to throw the carboy or does anyone know how I can stop the rot?
    >
    >Any answers greatfull received
    >
    >PeterB