5 meals and chicken stock, for under $5?

corked

The local market sells their rotisserie chickens for half price the day after they're cooked. I picked up two of them for under $5 the end of last week on a night we didn't feel like cooking. We had chicken sandwiches that night, with salad, then more sandwiches for a couple days.

Yesterday, I tossed the two carcasses (still quite a lot of meat on them) in water to cover them, along with seasonings, a chopped onion and a couple beef bouillon cubes. Now I have a wonderful smelling and tasting quart or two of stock, along with enough meat for at least 3-4 more meals. All for less than $5.

Great job Corked! I have been doing pretty good with economy meals myself these days. Yesterday I was able to spend just $2.85 for 2 chicken leg quarters, 2 ears of corn and a bag of salad (on markdown). I love when you can save money on groceries.

BrewJen

You guys are amazing. I need to start going grocery shopping with you, because our grocery bill is just out of control. I buy whole foods (so coupons don’t help) and take advantage of sales but we still spend too much.

corked

With whole foods, buying in-season is helpful as well as growing as much as you can yourself. Watch for items reduced and then eat them that day or freeze them for another time.

clarkdart

Buying just about anything in season will help. I know it seems like there is a mad dash to the store when certain things go on sale but if we do not stock up we will end up paying more down the road and that is just not acceptable.

melli

We grow a lot of our veggies. I also buy a lot of things when they are on sale. I sometimes shop the meat department and buy markdowns. Stores sell meat cheap on the last day they can sell them. I buy it and freeze it.

Melli, I do the same thing with the meat markdowns. I actually got a bunch of ground turkey a bit ago for 99 cents a pound. It normally sells for almost $3 a pound, so it was a pretty good deal. I visited the markdown section at the meat market the other day and scored with a bunch of produce. I spent less than $5 and I got ground beef, 3 corn on the cob, 4 tomatoes, 2-3# of potatoes, 3 cucumbers and a salad.

brewgal

Man, I wish we had grocery deals like that around here. I did get some marked down fried chicken from the deli the other day. We had fried chicken that night, and then we made chicken quesadillas the next day.