Aging Time

BrewJen

They say wine gets better with age, until it turns to vinegar anyway. How long do you age your wine? What's the minimum amount of time you've been able to wait?

clarkdart

From what I have read as I only deal with beer, when it comes to wine you want at least 2-3 months to ferment. After that are you going to drink it or just bottle it? My brother who does this (for his wife) lets it sit shelved for about 5-6 months and then it is good to go.

BrewJen

That is much shorter than I would have expected. I thought you had to wait at least a year before you could drink wine. Thanks!

clarkdart

I think it only depends on the type you are making and how well you want it to actually taste. I have heard of it going past those time lines but I think that is the shortest that he has tried (so far).

Maverick

I never knew that if you let wine sit long enough, that it turns to vinegar. That's interesting little tidbit. Six months does sound about right though.

Nicky

What's the minimum amount of time you've been able to wait?
Two days. I have absolutely zero patience.:D

Actually, two months. I don't like my wine too ripe. But then again, I don't drink too much wine so I guess I shouldn't be too picky.