Amish Bread

Someone gave me the Amish Bread starter last week. I love that stuff, but I can never get anyone to take the other starters once I make it so I end up with a bunch of them. I toss them in the freezer for later though. Tomorrow is baking day. Has anyone else ever made this?

brewbaby

Is that the Amish Friendship Bread, that's a sweet bread type? If it is, I've made it but it was years ago. If you lived in my neck of the woods, I'd swap it out with you.

It is! I love that stuff. The loaf I made over the weekend did not last very long. I made it on Saturday and it is gone already. I have another bag of starter on the counter though so I will have some again by next week. I did manage to get rid of one bag though.

JamesSkyrunner

It is! I love that stuff. The loaf I made over the weekend did not last very long. I made it on Saturday and it is gone already. I have another bag of starter on the counter though so I will have some again by next week. I did manage to get rid of one bag though.
Do you have to have a starter to make it?

James Skyrunner

oldieg

I do not care for Amish bread. I don't know why - actually I do. I don't like the thought of the bread being on the counter for so long. I'm all about keeping things cool and this bread is not.

BrewJen

We once had the Amish friendship bread but trying to pass on the starter all the time got old pretty quickly. We just make regular white bread instead.

TryAnything

I usually have the same problem with leftover batter. I give the handful of people that want it their starter, and have starters from the next batch with no homes. At one point, I ended up with fifteen starters in my freezer.

BrewJen

The recipe I have requires a starter, James. Unfortunately, I have no idea how the starter is made but I imagine you could find a starter recipe online somewhere.