Anyone have experience with the new Soda Stream?

I was at the store today and my husband seen the Soda Stream product. This supposedly allows you to make your own soda at home. Does anyone have experience with this machine or not? If they do can you please share your thoughts since I would like to know if it is worth the cost or not!

wineywiney

Beware the real total cost of ownership when buying this product.

These are great in the UK, where you can buy the gas refills (actually exchanges) in many supermarkets for not much money. However, in the US there are pitifully few outlets for the refills (Williams Sonoma and Camping World) and as such they are always out of stock. Because these gas cylinders have a proprietary fitting and anti-refill valve on them, they cannot be refilled at paintball, welding, or homebrew stores, so your only option is to mail them to Sodastream and obtain refills from the manufacturer directly. This adds up very quickly, and there is simply no way you can achieve the 20c per liter carbonation they claim here. The cheapest refills available from the manufacturer today are 3x14.5oz cylinders for $39 + $10 shipping = 41c/l. But since you have to have 3 cylinders first, you have to buy 3 more first (another $75 + $10 shipping), and these are their SALE prices.

It's an interesting novelty and the kids love it, but when the first gas cylinder runs out, the soda cans on the supermarket shelves are going to look really tempting again. It's a shame, here's another great idea marred by poor execution. I can't see that there is anything 'green' about burning up so much in shipping heavy cylinders back and forth across the country. !
This was the post that I found when I looked this product up on Amazon. I just don't think this would work out for me. It would have to be a cost beneficial product for me to even go that route. And making your own soda with this just isn't practical.

That is what I was wondering. I was going to use my Kohls cash to buy it, but not anymore! Thanks for the info and feedback! Sorry it took so long to reply, been having computer issues.

wineywiney

That is what I was wondering. I was going to use my Kohls cash to buy it, but not anymore! Thanks for the info and feedback! Sorry it took so long to reply, been having computer issues.
No problem. Basically if you are in the States its a no go, if you live elsewhere than its worth it.

Snyder

It kind of sounds like a hassle, but if you are a huge soda drinker, you could end up saving a fortune. Soda companies get away with murder with what they charge!

Waynefire

I would use it if I kept drinking soda like I used to. However, I found that drinking a ton of soda was starting to hurt my teeth. So I drastically cut back how much I was drinking and will never look back on the soda like I did before.

brewgal

I saw someone buying one of these at Walmart the other day, and I wondered if they were any good. I had not considered having to have the tank refilled though. I am glad I ran across this before I bought one.

Ubur3

I've seen them advertised and in stores. I was going to wait a while to see what others thought first. I try to limit my soda intake so I don't know if it would be worth the "investment" for me.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
I never liked their syrups, but I did enjoy carbonating the water and adding a little lemon and lime juice. Almost gives the feeling of soda but without the sugar.

I love the idea, but it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Sodas are on sale all the time where I live, so it's hard to imagine saving enough money to go to all this trouble. There's even a special on the drinks we like at our corner convenience store for refills of our cup for 25 cents each. Last summer they were free after purchasing the cup. We have lots of soda on the cheap already.

wineforme

I had thoughts about what was in the mix they use. now that I saw this post I will be sure not to even think about buying one. I can`t afford it. And I still worry about what is actually in that mix.