Aromatic Kitchen

Jude

I harvested some of my oregano and sage the other day and hung them outside to dry. It's been so rainy and damp here that I finally brought them in the house yesterday and hung them in the corner of my kitchen. When I got up this morning, my kitchen smelled wonderful. Have you ever used herbs just for the scent?

melli

No but I just might. I love the smell of both of those herbs when they are cooking. Do they have a similar smell when they are drying? I should plant extra to try it out.

That sounds like it would be amazing. I love the smell of fresh herbs, no matter what they are. I don't have any fresh herbs to hang and I guess I never really thought about it.

Jude

Basil works very well too. Sometimes when I'm outside, I'll go by and pull off a basil leaf just so I can smell it. Then I carry it around till all the scent is gone. I love basil tomato salad. Ever try that?

BrewJen

Yes, I love the smell of basil drying in my kitchen. Jude, I have never made basil tomato salad but it sounds good. Would you kindly share the recipe?

clarkdart

We have but never in the kitchen which seems odd. The only place I can think of close to it is inside the trash bin. We have the type that is foot pedal opened and the can for the bin slides out, between that and the casing there is enough room for a tiny stash to keep the bin smelling good. Since we recycle a good bit we only fill about two full bags of trash a month.

Nicky

Different flavored coffee's are about the only aroma my kitchen see's. But herbs hanging to dry sounds intriguing. I think I could get into that.

brewbaby

I haven't tried this with herbs yet, but probably will be shortly, at least with basil. I have a really nicely-growing basil plant on my back deck that I will need to dry (or at least, some of it).

Nicky

What exactly does basil smell like? I hear so much about it from people but I don't know much about the smell. The only herb I know well is mint, and I think we all know that smells good.

Jude

Here's the recipe for tomato basil salad BrewJen. I pulled this off Cooks.com. Instead of the shredded cheese in the middle, I sprinkle blue cheese crumbles over the whole thing and then drizzle with a basil vinaigrette dressing. Good eating!!

1 or 2 ripe tomatoes
1 lg. onion (Vidalia)
Bunch fresh basil
2/3 c. skim Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 red wine vinaigrette dressing

Thin slice tomatoes and onions. Arrange fresh basil leaves around edge of serving plate (platter). Alternate slice of tomato, onion, tomato, onion, etc. around plate (with basil leave edges showing) for color. Fill center of dish with shredded cheese. Drizzle vinaigrette over onions and tomato slices. (60 calories per serving.)

BrewJen

Yum! Thanks, Jude. That looks fantastic and very healthy too. I can see why they pick mozzarella cheese but blue cheese might not be bad either.

Jude

I made this just the other night BrewJen. I was out of mozzarella and out of blue cheese crumbles so I just had tomatoes, onions, fresh chopped basil and balsamic drizzle. It was still delicious.