Avoid browning

clarkdart

I keep hearing that you can do this in a simple coat process but what are you using to coat the foods with? Does it depend on what you are actually trying to dehydrate or does that even matter?

brewbaby

With light colored fruits, you can dip them in lemon juice, but I'm not sure that works with other types of foods. It definitely keeps apples and bananas from getting too dark and unappetizing looking.

I concur with brewbaby with regard to the lemon juice. I have also, however, heard that one can use apple cider vinegar to also get the brown to go away.

clarkdart

We are thinking that we need to start with more fruits, the kids seem to love them and it is something quick that we can take on the go. I absolutely hate eating in the car but this is something that is not really messy so I think we can make it work once we get a little better at it.

I believe you can use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and achieve the same effect. I don't ever dehydrate fruits that turn brown, so I guess I don't worry too much about it. Does anyone know if you let them soak in it or just kind of dip them in?

BrewJen

Doesn't it affect the taste when you do that? I wouldn't want my apples to have a lemon or vinegar taste. Whenever I get packaged apple slices, such as those from McDonald’s, they always taste off.

brewbaby

I've never tried vinegar, but I don't taste the lemon juice on my banana or apple chips. Stephanie, all I do is a quick dip in the lemon juice. I would think soaking them would make them taste more lemony and make them take longer to dry.