Beans are being attacked!

I have planted quite a few beans this year hoping to have a nice crop harvest to last through the winter. Unfortunately, I use most of my time trying to battle bean beetles than harvesting beans. I've tried laying out foil, and I've even made a spray of soap, rosemary, thyme and catnip in attempt to get rid of these pests without an actual insecticide. Does anyone know of any other methods for getting rid of bean beetles?

melli

Did you try beer? I had beetles once and I put beer in cups all throughout the garden. The beetles were attracted to the beer, once they climbed in they got stuck in and then they drowned. It was the only thing that worked for me.

I have never heard of bean beetles being attracted to beer. I will have to try that next time, they had officially murdered my plants so I removed them from the garden. What is it in the beer that bean beetles are attracted to?

If all else fails, use Seven Dust. It's the least potent of insecticides and will wash off when it rains. Hopefully this will be after the bugs have their belly full of the stuff.

Have you tried egg shells? Sometimes crumbled egg shells at the base of the plants can keep soft shelled bugs out of your garden. Other than that I really don't know what else you can do.

clarkdart

We found a very odd looking beetle in our backyard the other week so I snagged a picture of it and sent it off to my brother in law. He said it was some type of stag like these. Do you have to treat them different if it is a specific type of bug?

With regard to eggshells, I had added them to the garden in the very beginning when I was sowing the seed.

Clarkdart, that totally scared me! But to answer your question, you would have to treat them differently but there are exceptions. For example, most beetles hate catnip, but bean beetles seem unmoved by it.

melli

Run clarkdart! Move on before they move in! Yes, I don't remember who told me the beer trick but it works. They like it - it attracts them and they drown! Make sure you are using a deep enough cup so they cannot climb out.

Nicky

Did you try beer? I had beetles once and I put beer in cups all throughout the garden. The beetles were attracted to the beer, once they climbed in they got stuck in and then they drowned. It was the only thing that worked for me.
:D That is just too funny. Get them drunk.:D This is the perfect forum for that suggestion too. Thank you for the laugh, I needed that.

It's not a bad idea really. It's a natural remedy and if it works, well, it works.

We found a very odd looking beetle in our backyard the other week so I snagged a picture of it and sent it off to my brother in law. He said it was some type of stag like these. Do you have to treat them different if it is a specific type of bug?
These would be june bugs .. harmless..

If all else fails, use Seven Dust. It's the least potent of insecticides and will wash off when it rains. Hopefully this will be after the bugs have their belly full of the stuff.
Sevin works great.. i agree w/ happy honey. just watch out for bees and such..