Bechamel

brewgal

I learned how to make a Bechamel today! After having such a hard time making a roux for years I have to say I am pretty proud! We made these really awesome ham croquettes with the bechamel and they turned out great. :)

BrewJen

Congratulations! I would be proud of myself if I were in your place. I am not very good at making sauces, so I tend to avoid them.

Felix

My mother could throw together a Bechamel sauce in a heart beat. That's one of the things I truly miss about her being gone. She was the best cook any way, but her sauces were always spot on. We've used fancy whisks, pans and the like, but we've not yet managed to create what she could do with a simple wooden spoon.

brewgal

They definitely take some time to get right, or at least they have for me. Just being able to make the roux and the bechamel will put me ahead of the curve when I go back to school in January. :)

aroma

I have an aunt who lived in Italy for almost two decades and one of the things that she learned by heart is making bechamel which she uses a lot in her breaded cutlet recipes. She likes giving the sauce a kick by adding nutmeg to it.

Sandy

I've never tried bechamel sauce with nutmeg. That's an interesting combination, for sure. I have nutmeg in the house. Maybe after Christmas, it might be nice to experiment a bit.