Blue Dawg's Blueberry Lager

ciderchic

Blue Dawg Brewing Company makes a blueberry lager called Wild Blue that I am just absolutely in love with. The only problem is, it's really hard to find, so I thought I'd just try to make some at home. Can anyone help me out here with a recipe?

wild

I take it that you don't have an Anheuser-Busch distributor near you. If you're an extract brewer, you may have a little difficulty getting true to style but you could always try your luck with a basic lager kit. Problem may be finding an all-natural blueberry syrup made from real blueberries. There are recipes out there so you can make your own without worrying about killing your yeast with preservatives.
The ingredients I saw on the website were:
Two- and six-row barley malt
Willamette and German Hallertau hops
all-natural blueberry syrup

Lars

My brother has about 20 giant blueberry bushes. The berries aren't all that big, but he has tons of them in July. I wonder how difficult it would be to start from scratch and make your own. Thanks for the mention. He's always asking us to come and pick the berries.

ciderchic

Lars, we were actually thinking of growing our own blueberries; would you brother have any tips for us? We tried to grow strawberries one year but didn't have a lot of luck.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Lars, we were actually thinking of growing our own blueberries; would you brother have any tips for us? We tried to grow strawberries one year but didn't have a lot of luck.
Blueberries want acidic soil. Their roots are pretty shallow always, makes them "easy" to grow in large pots with a acidic soil mixture.

ciderchic

Blueberries want acidic soil. Their roots are pretty shallow always, makes them "easy" to grow in large pots with a acidic soil mixture.
Thanks, Jason. How long before they mature and you can start harvesting? Will the plants grow to maturity within a single season or single year, or do they need multiple years to grow and start bearing fruit?

RobertMcC

I would love to try my hand at blueberries. We have a few strawberries growing and I want to add more berries to my garden produce. I love fruit and the things you can make with fruit. We recently bought a black raspberry bush and I'm anxious for it to start bearing. It would be wonderful to be able to make something in the spirits line with all of that bounty.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Thanks, Jason. How long before they mature and you can start harvesting? Will the plants grow to maturity within a single season or single year, or do they need multiple years to grow and start bearing fruit?
I got blueberries after about a year or two of buying a small plant. It takes a few years for them to get mature however if I remember correctly. I want to say 3-5 years depending on how big of a plant you buy.