Bottles or Kegs

BrewJen

Do you prefer to use bottles or kegs and why? I like bottles myself; individual bottles keep their carbonation and we rarely throw parties so kegs usually aren't practical.

Ubur3

I would use bottles too. They would last longer (taste more like they were supposed to). I agree we don't have parties enough where we would need or use a keg. I know you can tap a keg and drink from it for a period of time.

wineforme

We like to have football parties and we always use bottles or cans of beer. The only thing I don`t like about kegs is all the problems we have getting the tap to work right. It seems we were always pumping and getting a lot of foam. Hwo do you keep from getting all that foam from a keg?

BrewJen

I don't know, wine. We run into similar issues. I'm sure it's user error but we haven't figured it out yet.

I imagine there are keg fans on here but so far none of them are chiming in. ;)

wild

I keg mostly because I have a 4-keg kegereator in the garage and a 5-keg in the backyard. I only bottle the really big beers so my keg isn't tied up for years. Besides, I'd rather clean one bottle instead of fifty. As for length of time, kegged beer can last as long or longer than bottled beer. If head isn't created while bottling, O2 can be trapped in the headspace of the bottle which will eventually cause oxidation.
When folks say that they "pump a keg", this usually means they are using an air pump instead of a CO2 system. O2 and beer do not get along and once air is introduced in a keg of beer, you are limited to 72 hours before the beer becomes completely oxidized giving it a wet cardboard flavor.
To eliminate/reduce foaming, pull the pressure release valve located at the base of the pump unit, letting all of the gas escapes. It's best to do this a few hours before the party begins so that the gas in the beer can equalize. Keeping the keg cold also helps keep the CO2 within the beer. Chill the cups is another hint too.

Jimmy Don

I have to agree with Wild. The best thing that I've ever done for my homebrewing is to build a kegerator out of an old freezer. I always hated cleaning and sanitizing all those bottles.

MegsAnne

Bottles for me! It just seems much more practical in both the short and long term. I have tried kegs in the past, and I just didn't like it as much.

BrewersDelight

I personally would always rather bottle than keg if it's for personal consumption. If I ever got to the industrial level of brewing I might change my opinion more. However, as it stands right now, bottling just makes more sense.

edvisual

Do you prefer to use bottles or kegs and why? I like bottles myself; individual bottles keep their carbonation and we rarely throw parties so kegs usually aren't practical.
Bottles are real good for all kinds of drinks, not only for wine. It keeps it more well conserved

clarkdart

Bottles is the top choice, kegs for me are many years in my past. We do not party like we used to so for us the thought of it is just a trip down memory lane.