Bottling homemade coffee liqueur

Charlie

For years, our family has made coffee liqueur using vodka, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. We're always just bottled it up - it makes twice the amount of the vodka - and then used it the same day or within a few days for a party. Would this improve by aging it at all?

wild

I use whole vanilla beans in my recipe and let age for thirty days in a dark cool cabinet. Very tasty.

BarelyHangingOn

I don't think you are going to hurt it so I would give it a try and decide yourself. There are many homemade liquor recipes that call for it to be put away and aged a little before trying.

I make my own Bailey's which tends to go bad after a few days so I freeze it and scoop it into my coffee.

Can you please tell me how to make this because my husband loves coffee and really likes the liqueur inside of it, but we do not buy it that often!

wild

Kahlua
2 cups instant coffee (Yuban works great)
7 cups sugar
1 qt. boiling water
1 qt. vodka
1 vanilla bean
Mix coffee and sugar. Pour boiling water over and stir until dissolved. Cool. Stir in vodka. Drop vanilla bean into 1/2 gallon bottle or jug. Add vodka mixture, seal and allow to stand in a cool dark place for 1 month or longer. Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

clarkdart

Both sound pretty tasty but I would have to opt for the Kahlua myself, for some reason I just can not get enough of that stuff. What brand of vodka are you both using?

JamesSkyrunner

Kahlua
2 cups instant coffee (Yuban works great)
7 cups sugar
1 qt. boiling water
1 qt. vodka
1 vanilla bean
Mix coffee and sugar. Pour boiling water over and stir until dissolved. Cool. Stir in vodka. Drop vanilla bean into 1/2 gallon bottle or jug. Add vodka mixture, seal and allow to stand in a cool dark place for 1 month or longer. Makes 1 1/2 quarts.
I wonder what it would taste like if instead of vodka u used say jack Daniels or jagermeister?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

JamesSkyrunner

I like jager and mixing it with things .. I think I might try it.. I bought a bottle of that holiday cinnamon vanilla jagermister spice last week and liked it

James Skyrunner

wild

I bought a bottle of that holiday cinnamon vanilla jagermister spice last week and liked itJames Skyrunner

Never heard of it. I'll ask my playmate about it. She's a Jager-bomber fan and deals with the booze section at a Kroger. Maybe she'll want to try it.

DIY-Mom

I like the idea of adding a whole vanilla bean to the recipe. After letting the kahlua age for thirty days in a dark cool cabinet, how long can one use/drink the content before the taste or quality of this home-made brew goes 'off'? Same duration as kahlua purchased in a liquor shop?

TryAnything

I've been looking for a good coffee liqueur recipe, thanks for posting one! I will have to give this a try, but I won't use cheap vodka, I always get that rubbing alcohol taste in my mouth when I use it and it's hard to get rid of.