bottling mead

i found some nice simple bottles with screw tops would these work well for bottling mead or will a cork be needed? im also thinking about capping them and adding a wax seal to make it look nice is this going to affect the aging in any way? i tried it to see how it would look and this is what my result was do you think this will work

wild

Beautiful job on the bottle. It really doesn't matter how you seal the bottle of a still mead but a tip would be to fill the head space with either CO2 or nitrogen to prevent oxidation over time.

Like Wild I was going to say it should not matter. However, do not make the mistake I did when making some soda and forget to leave the head space. Did that and had a huge mess!

i also made some blackberry cranberry apple cider its got a very nice taste and a light pink color i used the same bottles and also did some beer bottle sized dipped in red wax. i will put some pics up soon

FrostyMug

Should the cork on a bottled mead be pushed down all the way? Will it effect oxidation if not? I'm a newbie also, so I don't know.

wild

All of the entries I receive in our competitions are pushed in all the way. Most are synthetic but I hear natural cork is better because they absorb some oxygen.

FrostyMug

Thanks for your reply, Wild. There are some great tips and answers on this forum. Natural anything always seems better to me.

Evilmanikin, I'd like to see pictures of your bottles dipped in wax. I bet they are cool looking. I remember as a kid we went to a treasure hunter's amusement park type place, and they let us dip a note in a bottle, in a barrel of red hot wax, to seal it. I remember how cool that was.