Bread yeast vs Wine yeast

I was looking up on how to make wine, and I noticed that the recipe called for a different type of yeast in comparison to bread yeast. What is the difference between these kinds of yeast?

wild

A wine yeast can survive in an environment with more alcohol than a bread yeast. A bread yeast will die off at around seven percent, while a wine yeast can go up to about 13 percent.

When you say that yeast can survive in an environment with more alcohol, are you specifically referring to fermentation? If I recall, can't sugar or carbohydrates in general be turned into alcohol?

wild

Yes. Bread yeast consumes sugar and produces CO2 giving rise to bread. Wine yeast consumes sugar and produces CO2 and alcohol.

Georgie

So, if you don't want an alcohol content of more than 7%, you could use bread yeast? As I recall, back in the old days, I wasn't too fussy what type of yeast I used. Maybe that's why some of my brews weren't as strong as I had hoped they'd be?:)

Carta38

Iv had bread yeast yield up to almost 12% by volume many times all threw the 90's now days with wine yeast I avg. around 14%-16% but giving I use almost 15lbs. of sugar in my 5gal batch with 20-25lbs of fruit NOT 100% Juice Mix and with a electric blanket on low (constant heat at 78 degrees) the environment is a happy one with a great finished product.

RobertMcC

I have never tried bread yeast while making wine. I am not very adventerous when it comes to making wine. I've only made elderberry and grape so far. I hope to branch out soon with blackberry and maybe raspberry either this year or next.

Maverick

So the wine yeast is hardier than the bread yeast it sounds like. Yet the finished product of the bread yeast, beer, is hardier than wine. Is that about right?