Can you freeze chives?

corked

A friend of mine grows chives and she just gave me a bunch. It's far more than I can use while it's still fresh. I know it will likely get a bit soft, but would freezing it be okay to use for recipes later on?

lab22

Yes you can freeze chives. Clean and dry them first, cut to size you would use and freeze in a freezer bag. It will stay good for 6 months in the freezer. I write the date on the bag so I don't forget when I froze them. One website suggest freeze portions in a ice cube tray with a little water.

corked

I would think freezing them in ice cubes would make them really soggy? I am going to do what you suggest this afternoon, otherwise I'll lose what I have left and I hate wasting it. I'm drying the oregano leaves she gave me as we type.

brewgal

Yes, you can freeze the chives and the oregano. I don't know about the ice cube tray with water though. That seems like it would make them very soggy when you thawed them out.

HelenWheels

I just did this with a bunch of cilantro someone gave to me. I dried some in the oven and also froze some into ice cubes which I removed from the trays and bagged up in a Ziplock so it wouldn't take on any freezer odors. I used one of the cubes the other day when I made some soup. It worked out great. I imagine the result would be just as good with chives. I will only be using the cubes for cooking, though, not as a substitute for fresh. The dried will be used for that.

Allhops

Yes, you can do this a number of ways but I have good luck just making sure they're dry as possible. Then I wrap them in paper towels and put them in an airtight vacccuum packed bag. Take out what you need when you need it!

I have never frozen chives but I have frozen basil and other spices. I would assume that it freezes the same. Like someone else said, just make sure it is really dry so it doesn't get soggy. I don't use the ice cube idea though.