Canning fruit question

melli

I don't usually can any fruits - I stick with veggies. My mom wants to start canning fruit this summer. She is always buying canned fruit for my gram. Question is what liquid would we use? We don't want to suck all of the liquid out of the fruit and we don't want mushy fruit when we are done.

brewbaby

Generally you would use one of three things: water, sugar syrup or fruit juice. It all depends on what your goals are, how the canned fruit will be used and what you want the product to taste like. I generally use a light to medium sugar syrup, depending on the type of fruit. This keeps the shape and color of the fruit nicely.

RobertMcC

You can also use Splenda. My wife and I used a light syrup made with sugar and Splenda to put up some pears from our pear tree. I think we found the recipe on one of the canning web site.

melli

Thanks! I don't want to add calories (or as little as possible) and I want the fruit to taste like it should taste. I will try the fruit juice. I'm also going to look for the Splenda recipe. Thanks again!

Lars

We are on this Stevia kick since it's supposed to be better for your than the other artificial sweeteners. We have a couple of family members who have diabetes, so we avoid sugar as much as possible, especially added sugars. Has anyone tried using Stevia instead of Splenda?