cheese dip with kick

clarkdart

The kids love any type of cheese they can get their hands on. I am thinking about making two batches one for them that is a little tame and one for the adults with a little bite to it. Besides jalepinos what is best to give it a boost?

Jessi

I add salsa or a spicy diced tomato mix. I like making it more on the chunky side and it adds kick.

You could also add some onion for the heat side.

BeerPong

The rotel tomatoes in a can really give it a nice flavor and some spice. You can even try other peppers instead of jalapeno like chipotle; it makes the cheese taste like it was smoked.

Apetito

I am not really into spicy stuff, but when I prepare cheese dip for the other adults in the family, I add diced tomatoes and chili pepper. My sister-in-law does hers with onions and a dash of paprika in addition to the chili pepper.

rayne

We always make mild and hot everything. Hot is good around this house and the mild is for the guests. Rotel is good for spicing things up but I generally use my own home grown cayennes or jalepenos. Talk about kick. WoW!!

brewgal

I like to put Rotel (or the store brand version anyway), as well as jalapenos. I keep pickled jalapenos in the fridge for when I don't have fresh. The pickled kind are usually a little bit hotter any way.

OhioTom76

Are you talking about the Velveeta/Rotel dip? You could always add some cayenne pepper or some Franks Red Hot or Tobasco to it. Or perhaps an extra can of hot green chiles to it. You could possibly even just melt in some Habanero Jack Cheese (such as Cabo brand). I would maybe suggest doing a test run of it though with a smaller amount so you don't waste a whole container of cheese.

clarkdart

We headed out to a nearby Mexican restaurant last night and I swear everything on the menu had kick to it. I ended up getting a very mild (light) sauce for the nachos, not a chance, fire hot. Even the cheese spread I use for the rice was flaming, the cook must have had a bad night!!

melli

Oh the diced tomato mix sounds delicious! I even like the sound of salsa in homemade cheese. I don't make cheese a lot but I'm starting to experiment a little with it. What kind do you make for your kids?

keliber

I prefer mixing chopped, red pimientos on my cheese dip. My husband loves the taste and he would dip his favorite nacho chips brand in the cheese mixture.

clarkdart

My husband is pretty shifty when it comes to pimientos, I have to dice them super fine in order to sneak them in. The kids need them almost invisible before they will eat them, even though they love the spicy flavor. I guess they just remind them of something else, kids are funny that way.

keliber

You can use the food processor for easy dicing of pimientos. They are not too spicy and the thing I love most about them is that they taste sweet.