Cider only for Colder months?

Kimberly

When I think of cider, I usually think of chilly weather. I was wondering, though, are there ciders that are better for the warm months? I think apple cider might make me sick, if I drank it during the summer.

Kimberly

I really need to look into the different ciders that are out there, because I seem to recall a peach cider. It just seems so weird to call something refreshing a cider, because I always think of something warm and filling.

chris

I don't really like warm cider although I know it's a pretty popular beverage during the winter and for holidays. I much prefer drinking cold apple cider in the fall when it's made with fresh picked apples.

wild

Poor-man's Black Velvet (aka Snakebite)
1/2 pint Guinness®
1/2 pint hard cider

Remember, cider doesn't have to be high in alcohol to be enjoyed.

When I think of cider, I usually think of chilly weather. I was wondering, though, are there ciders that are better for the warm months? I think apple cider might make me sick, if I drank it during the summer.
I am rate there with you, when I think of cider, I think of our cold winter's here in Wisconsin, with hot mug of apple cider and sitting by the fireplace. I personally never drank cider in the summer.

rayne

Cider is good anytime although winter time is probably better. There are times in my house when my hot natured husband has the AC down so low that a good hot cup of cider warms me right up in the summer time.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Poor-man's Black Velvet (aka Snakebite)
1/2 pint Guinness®
1/2 pint hard cider

Remember, cider doesn't have to be high in alcohol to be enjoyed.
I've thought about attempting a low alcohol cider for summer. Something I can drink and do some work outside, or sit by the pool, and not get drunk.

I actually drink hard cider in the summer/fall more then other times of the year.

You can drink this stuff year round. However, for the most part I am like you and think only of the winter months when I look at it. So hopefully the winter month comes soon so I can enjoy my cider again!

BrewJen

I generally only drink cider in the fall and winter myself. I think it can be enjoyed year round but my association is so strong that it rarely occurs to me to drink it unless it's fall or winter.

beckyv1265

I think because people traditional harvested apples in the fall we made cider and drank it in the winter. I think a cold glass of cider would be great on a hot summers day. With apples being available year round now its easy to get some and make it when ever we want.

wineywiney

Yes!
I hardly ever think to drink Cider or Eggnog during regular non holiday months.
Soon as the holiday rolls around I get to making the Eggnog and Cider.
I love warm Cider and warm Eggnog with nutmeg on top.

Wino

I've never enjoyed cold Cider and I've never enjoyed warm Eggnog! I do like both. I think Cider could also be enjoyed on a cool summer night.

Waynefire

I drink the stuff when it is in season. The orchard down the street from me actually taught me how to freeze it and keep it all year though!

Sandy

Someone gave us some mulled cider mix early in the Christmas season. We never did pull it out. Now I'm wondering if there is something I can do with it during the summer since I don't want to hold it over until winter. I'm not sure about the shelf life of this stuff. Has anyone tried serving it cold or over ice?

Scarletpyxi

I like it cold when it is hot outside and hot when it is cold outside, I usually prefer alcoholic ciders during the fall and spring...so yes, in my opinion, you can definitely enjoy it year round.

Scarletpyxi

Someone gave us some mulled cider mix early in the Christmas season. We never did pull it out. Now I'm wondering if there is something I can do with it during the summer since I don't want to hold it over until winter. I'm not sure about the shelf life of this stuff. Has anyone tried serving it cold or over ice?
Ice makes it too watery in my opinion but I do enjoy it cold, especially if it is alcoholic.

tastic

I only drink cider in the winter for the most part. I don't know why I never think to get it during the summer or spring. I guess I relate it to the cold weather in Michigan. Hot apple cider and donuts are the best when it's cold outside. However, now that I think about it I'd be happy to drink apple cider any time.

streakanime

I agree and understand. Cider just feels and tastes so much better when it is cold outside. It is not really that appealing to me in humid or even warm weather. :rolleyes: I used to love when we got Apple Cinnamon Cider in school for Christmas.

WooWoo

I associate cider with cold weather. I think it makes it a little more special to only drink it in the fall because it becomes something special to look forward to.