Cider vs. Beer

BrewJen

What is different about making cider versus making beer? I'm just learning how to brew beer but I'd like to learn more about cider since I enjoy it too.

wild

Here is the shortest possible instruction set for turning apples into cider

1. Get some apples
  2. Chop them up really small
  3. Press your apples
  4. Put apple juice in a container
  5. Add yeast
  6. Let it ferment for a month or so
  7. Put the cider in clean bottles
  8. Wait for a couple of months
  9. Drink the cider
Here is the shortest possible instruction set for brewing beer

1. Heat water
  2. Mix in extract
  3. Boil and add hops
  4. cool and add yeast
  5. Ferment for three weeks
  6. Bottle and add priming sugar
  7. Bottle ferment for three weeks
  8. Drink beer
If you follow these instructions you will produce cider or beer, but probably not very nice cider or beer.With brewing a drink that is both alcoholic and great tasting, the devil is in the detail. To get a really good tasting cider or beer (and that is actually quite easy to do) you need to be sure about each stage of the brewing process. To make good quality brew you will need more detailed instructions.

steph84

I just got into hard ciders! I love this pear hard cider from Sprouts Farmer's Market. It's so flavorful and a great summer drink. I'll just have to try and make my own now.

James Dean

Here is the shortest possible instruction set for turning apples into cider

1. Get some apples
  2. Chop them up really small
  3. Press your apples
  4. Put apple juice in a container
  5. Add yeast
  6. Let it ferment for a month or so
  7. Put the cider in clean bottles
  8. Wait for a couple of months
  9. Drink the cider
Here is the shortest possible instruction set for brewing beer

1. Heat water
  2. Mix in extract
  3. Boil and add hops
  4. cool and add yeast
  5. Ferment for three weeks
  6. Bottle and add priming sugar
  7. Bottle ferment for three weeks
  8. Drink beer
If you follow these instructions you will produce cider or beer, but probably not very nice cider or beer.With brewing a drink that is both alcoholic and great tasting, the devil is in the detail. To get a really good tasting cider or beer (and that is actually quite easy to do) you need to be sure about each stage of the brewing process. To make good quality brew you will need more detailed instructions.

This is a very good instruction. Yeah you are right it won't get you making a good beer or cider, but at least it is a start. On the process, you will know when and what yeast you should put on it and gauge it. Eventually, you are going to get t right. Experience is the first time to perfection.

thehoots

I never looked into what is involved behind making cider. From the list, that Wild provided, there does not seem much to it. Granted, the list is not something to produce quality cider as Wild has mentioned, but it is indeed nice to know the general steps.

I am in the middle of considering trying new things to brew. I feel it is best for me to get comfortable with other sorts of brew in order to obtain a variety of good drinks to have on hand.

As it is said, variety is one of the many spices of life.

JamesSkyrunner

So I was wondering can u put cider into a keg and carbonate it I just got a keg and cO2 tank and I'm looking to put them to a variaty of uses

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2