Cleaning Supplies

TeaGirl

What cleaning supplies are necessities for you to have in the kitchen? I am looking for a cleaner with a pleasant smell, maybe something with lemon. I hate the greasy feeling some cleaners leave behind.

CarolynnJ

I use a lot of the 'Go Green" products that work pretty good. I like the one for just general cleaning up and it doesn't smell to bad. Doesn't smell like lemon but it gets the job done.

projicarus

It's pretty easy to make your own cleaning supplies using non-toxic, "green" materials. I think my favorite is a mix of vinegar and baking soda.

gits

I love something with lemon in it too but the green alternatives have become my favorite lately. I love to try anything of late and if I do not like a particular one, I move to the next.

Hammy

I second vinegar and baking soda. You would be amazed at some of the things I have cleaned with that duo that regular cleaners didn't work on. No worries about harsh chemicals too.

wherein

I use a mix of "green" cleaning supplies and homemade stuff, and I haven't noticed anything being particularly stinky. Vinegar is a bit smelly, true, but it's not as bad as some other products!

Knert

We keep all of our supplies in a locked closet that is dedicated only to cleaning stuff and anything that can not find outside in the carport side garage. Its only locked because we have curious pets and kids.

DomesticDiva

Here is a green all-purpose cleaning recipe I found on the net I am going to try. Combine 1/2 tsp washing soda with a dab of liquid soap. Then add 2 cups of hotwater and place in a spray bottle and shake until everything dissolves. Then apply and wipe off with rag or sponge. It says if you're out of washing soda, use 2 1/2 tsp of borax, instead. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils for a nice aroma. Maybe you can add a lemon fragrant. It says Lavender and tea-tree oils are also natural antiseptics.

Knert

I do not use sponges in my house but a cloth would be fine. My only question is, what's a washing soda? The rest I think I already have on hand but if not a quick run to the store and that issue is solved.

DomesticDiva

I do not use sponges in my house but a cloth would be fine. My only question is, what's a washing soda? The rest I think I already have on hand but if not a quick run to the store and that issue is solved.
It is made by Arm & Hammer and it comes in a yellow box. It is not baking soda. It can be found in the laundry section of your grocery store.

Vivanno

I like those which have a lemon or a citrus scent. I have been trying to go green and save some money at the same time, so sometimes, I go for homemade cleaning products. Baking soda is a good cleaning partner.

makingloot

It's pretty easy to make your own cleaning supplies using non-toxic, "green" materials. I think my favorite is a mix of vinegar and baking soda. I use a lot of the 'Go Green" products that work pretty good. I like the one for just general cleaning up and it doesn't smell to bad. Doesn't smell like lemon but it gets the job done. We keep all of our supplies in a locked closet that is dedicated only to cleaning stuff and anything that can not find outside in the carport side garage.