Coffee is not just for drinking

I came across a website that listed various ways to use coffee that didn't include drinking it. Some of them, like using coffee grounds to absorb foul odors, I already knew, but others were interesting. The one I found most interesting was using coffee grounds to reduce the look of cellulite. You rub used coffee grounds on your leg, then you wrap it in plastic wrap for 20 minutes. You can also sprinkle used coffee grounds on your garden as a fertilizer!

GardenGal

I find the one about keeping cats out of my garden beds interesting. We have always used pine cones for this. Since we have to drive to the mountains to get pine cones, I think I will try this.

RobertMcC

Coffee is great fertilizer. I've used it in my compost forever. I don't even take it out of the filter, I just use the filter for compost too.

brewbaby

I've used the grounds in the garden to enrich the soil, but there are a lot of interesting ideas on that site. That cellulite one doesn't seem like it would really work, though. Kind of weird, isn't it?

Maverick

My mother used to use the spent coffee grounds, egg shells, potato peelings and other kitchen cast-offs as fertilizer all the time. Whatever she grew always grew very well.

Maverick, I do that too! I have never used the potato peelings but I have used egg shells and coffee grounds. I like to go as organic as I can. Brew, I don't know about the cellulite but I did try the one floating around Pinterest about mixing coffee grounds and baking soda for hair removal. That worked really well, so I wouldn't totally discount it.

clarkdart

I never knew about some of these but I do remember my grandmother telling me that pouring old coffee grounds on her rose bushes was why they looked so amazing. She also said she put pickle juice on them too but I have no idea what that does for flowers and bushes.

ILoveCoffee

I came across a website that listed various ways to use coffee that didn't include drinking it. Some of them, like using coffee grounds to absorb foul odors, I already knew, but others were interesting. The one I found most interesting was using coffee grounds to reduce the look of cellulite. You rub used coffee grounds on your leg, then you wrap it in plastic wrap for 20 minutes. You can also sprinkle used coffee grounds on your garden as a fertilizer!

I have actually heard of spas which offer coffee rub treatment for the body. Besides providing an exfoliating effect, this treatment is also supposed to be a cellulite buster.

I wonder if the caffeine is why it's useful for cellulite. I've seen a lot of fancy cellulite creams and face creams that list caffeine in the ingredients. Kind of interesting that it can perk skin up, too!