Crock Pot Apple Butter

My father in law brought me several pounds of apples off his tree yesterday so I think I am going to give the new recipe for apple butter I found a try. You take 3 pounds of apples, 3 c. sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp cloves and 3/4 c water or apple cider and leave it on low all day in the crock pot. You can freeze it or can it once it is cooked. I am thinking that if it tastes as good as it sounds, it might make a wonderful Christmas gift.

Bailey

Stephanie, I made crock pot apple butter last year and it was delicious. I wasn't aware you could freeze it though. I may have it give it another go this year. Have you priced cloves lately? A small spice jar of cloves is over $5.00 here. It just hurts me to pay that much.

Bailey, have you tried your local dollar store for spices? I got my jar of cloves from Dollar General for $1.50. I do not ever pay for spices at the grocery store without checking the dollar stores first.

Allhops

Good call on the dollar store spices! I am going there this week to pick up a few things that I know are name brand, just cheaper. Crock pot apple butter sounds really good. I think my mom would love this.

corked

I've been looking for a recipe for apple butter that will freeze well, so I'll be giving this a try, too. For those wanting to save on spices, try to find a natural food store in your area. You can buy spices by the ounce and it's much cheaper than the grocery store. Plus, if it's something you rarely use, you won't be wasting the rest of the bottle when it goes stale.

BrewJen

I didn't think about spices being cheaper at the dollar or natural food stores, but that is good to know. Thanks for the apple butter recipe too; I love apple butter and may try making it.

melli

I wondered how to make this! Thanks for the recipe. I have 15 gallons of cider in the freezer and a ton of apples still on the tree. How would you can it? Do you have to boil it after cooking it in the crock pot?

brewgal

This sounds really good and super easy! I have never tried to make apple butter before, but I know my parents love it so if it turns out well I can share!

Melli, according to the recipe you pack it into hot jars with 1/4 inch of head space. Then you would process it in a hot water bath just like when you can anything else. I just made up my 2nd batch today and got it packed away in the freezer. I am so excited to put it into my goodie baskets to give away. I did save 1 quart for myself though.