Do you mix apple varieties?

corked

When you make your cider, do you use just one variety of apple or do you mix the juice of multiple varieties? My grandfather always made it with Macintosh only, as that was the type of apple trees he had. I'm thinking it would be even tastier with a variety, just like when I bake using apples.

BrewJen

I've never made cider myself but I can see how a blend of apples may improve the flavor. You'd add more complexity to the taste.

oldieg

Yes, we actually throw in whatever people bring. Each year we have an apple cider party and people bring all types of apples. They all get tossed into the press. I think using a variety of apples makes it taste better.

melli

We use a variety of apples too. Last year we threw in pears. It was just an experiment but it turned out great! I am sure we will toss more pears in this year too.

oldieg

Ooh... I never thought of adding pears to the apple cider. I bet that is pretty tasty. Can you taste the pears too? I'm going to have to try this for sure this year. I have a pear tree that is loaded!

corked

An apple cider party sounds pretty memorable. Do you send everyone home with a jug of new cider or do you pass it out after it's had a chance to age a bit?

HelenWheels

That sounds amazing! What a fun party that must have been. I look forward to getting some fresh pressed cider at the farmer's market this weekend!

I can definitely see where adding pears would make it pretty tasty. I bet other fruit would mix in pretty well too. Look at how all the stores are selling blended juices and people love them!

masksis

Yes, I usually use different combinations of apple varieties. Most of the time it will improve the flavor of the cider because it adds a little extra something to it.

I've never considered adding pears. I might have to try that.

oldieg

Everyone takes multiple jugs home. You wouldn't believe how many we have when we are done. We also do a hayride and let the kids paint pumpkins. Of course there is always tons of food too!

lab22

That sounds like a lot of fun for the families oldieg. I think our friends would enjoy that type of party, especially the people on our road. We are always looking for a reason to get together with all the families. We could have a cider making party.