Drying Pumpkin?

LilyCali

I've heard you can make a sort of fruit leather by using pumpkin which has been seasoned like you do when making pumpkin pie and then drying it on parchment paper. I would love to try this but I really need a recipe if anyone knows anything about this.

shortiedrinker

What will you think use the leather for? Sorry I am not a leather worker and while it does sound interesting I am not sure what the after use would be. I am all for reusing things though so if you find out that it is easy to do (or mostly easy) I am willing to take on a challenge.

downhome

This is an intriguing concept. Leather is so expensive, or it used to be, this might be an excellent alternative. As shortiedrinker said, there would have to be uses for it. Is making purses or wallets with this method of doable?

I think you two have the wrong idea. A fruit leather is a puree of fruit that has been spread thickly on a surface and let dry. Then you can eat it like meat jerky. It has to be dehydrated in some manner and can be done in a dehydrator or in a low heated oven.

LilyCali-Have you done a search on AllRecipes? You may be able to find something like that there.

BagLady

I think you two have the wrong idea. A fruit leather is a puree of fruit that has been spread thickly on a surface and let dry. Then you can eat it like meat jerky. It has to be dehydrated in some manner and can be done in a dehydrator or in a low heated oven.

LilyCali-Have you done a search on AllRecipes? You may be able to find something like that there.
Oh, I see! I thought she meant making a leather product, too. Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that fruit leather was a puree.

clarinda

Do you have access to a dehydrator? If so, there are several different recipes that show up with a Google search for "recipes for pumpkin leather".

I wonder if you could just let it dry on parchment paper, if you don't have a dehydrator. I'm afraid that might take too long to dry though and the fruit might go bad.

Does your oven have a low enough setting that you could dehydrate in your oven?

This sounds like it would be interesting to try. I have never heard of dehydrating pumpkin before. So this was an interesting thread and one which I will follow closely to see how it works out. Like the last suggestion I would look on Google for recipes after you buy a dehyrdator.

rayne

If you'll check your history books, the indians dried pumpkin during the summer and used it in soups and stews during the long winter months. They cut the pumpkin in rounds like donuts and hung it out to dry. After that, I'm not sure how they stored it or if they cut it into smaller pieces. If I were drying pumpking I would do it much like drying apples. It's a great way to preserve.

beckyv1265

I dry lots of pumpkin . I cut it ln thin slices and dry it then vacume seal it. It is great for soups and stews. I also make lots of fruit leather. I would make it like you would a pie recipe and just not add the milk. Or try adding dried milk to reduce the moisture. Then I would spread on the parchment paper and just watch it closely . Let it dry till its the right consistancy. Then roll it up in the parchment and vacume seal it. You can also candy the pumpkin like you do sweet potatoes and dry it that way. I boil it in a simple sugar with spices to get a good coating and the lay the slices on the dhydrater and the sugar and spices dry on the pumpkin to make a sweet snack.

RobertMcC

That sounds really good beckyv! I love fruit leathers and pumpkin flavored anything is one of my favorite flavors. It's a good substitute for a lot of unhealthy things. My uncle always grows pumpkins for selling at harvest festivals and such but he has a bunch that have been nibbled on by deer or that have grown funny shaped so I could get them.

beckyv1265

That sounds really good beckyv! I love fruit leathers and pumpkin flavored anything is one of my favorite flavors. It's a good substitute for a lot of unhealthy things. My uncle always grows pumpkins for selling at harvest festivals and such but he has a bunch that have been nibbled on by deer or that have grown funny shaped so I could get them.
Well I have a bunch of children and they always have to have pumpkins in the fall for halloween. So we started growing them ourselves because the price of pumpkins have really gotten high. Anyhow we always end up with a bunch of pumpkins and seeds. lol I also like to toast the seeds I cover them with a little oil and then toss with whatever spice combo I like and roast them in the oven. I do a seasond salt and a memphis barbecue spice as well as cinamona and sugar spice pumpkin seeds. There is no end to the combinations of flavors. The kids love them.

RobertMcC

We actually puree the pumpkin after it's emptied of seeds and baked and can it. The outer layer goes into the puree as well and then we put it in jars and can it. It saves a lot of money in the winter since pumpkin is selling here for more than $2.00 a large can in the stores.

melli

This thread is very interesting. I am new to dehydrating foods. I read a thread about watermelon and now pumpkins. We too grow pumpkins so I have to try this. I have only ever had beef jerky so I cannot wait to try some fruit and veggie jerky.

BrewJen

I think I need to get a dehydrator. Pumpkin-flavored fruit leather sounds awesome. I love pumpkin. I also would like to dehydrate strawberries and bananas.

Making dried pumpkin sound very interesting! My only concern would be the pumpkin rotting or spoiling because of the high water content while dehydrating.

TryAnything

I never thought of dehydrating pumpkin. Sounds like something fun to try this fall, though I'm not really sure how it would taste. I'm not a big fan of pumpkin anything unless it is in pie form.

I would imagine that it would taste something like dried sweet potatoes. I am thinking, though, it would be just a dad bit softer. I'd be inclined to add sugar and cinnamon to it.

melli

I don't like sweet potatoes at all so maybe I wouldn't like this. I do like sugar and cinnamon though so I could add that to hide the taste. Wait a minute, what would be the point in that?

HelenWheels

I would never in a million years have thought of this. I tend to forget about pumpkins being a winter squash used for meals. I love other types of squash so I would probably like this too! What a good way to be able to have it all year.