Drying the fish

keliber

Do you know how to dry the fish, preferably herring? It was known as stock fish in some countries. It has a foul smell but tastes good when cooked. This is what it looks like:

Do you know how to dry them, starting from fresh catch?

SecondCup

I haven't tried drying fish, but I have eaten some at an Asian cuisine restaurant once and I found it a bit salty for my taste. I ran a Google search and here is what I found.

brewgal

I have never tried to dry fish in the dehydrator, but I know some people who salt cure fish. They just use a big wooden barrel and put salt on the bottom. Then they layer fish and salt up to the top and leave it to cure. You have to soak it over night before you can use it to get rid of the salty taste, but it is pretty good. This is the same way the Indians and the pioneers used to do it.

SandyLynn

Sounds interesting but not something that I think would appeal to me. We do have some friends that have cured some the way you mentioned brewgal, I just never tried eating any of them.

brewgal

I have never actually tried to salt cure it myself, but I am familiar with the process and I have eaten some. In my personal opinion that kind of fish works better with some kind of sauce instead of just plain salt cured fish.

Felix

I don't know if I could stand the smell for that long. How long do you store dried fish? I can see every cat in the neighborhood heading to our house. Seriously, let us know how it turns out.

I would be scared to salt cure anything because I would probably do it wrong. I also don't think I could live with the smell of curing fish for too long. I would try the dehydrator. The settings are usually marked and you could marinate it first if you like.

Sandy

My grandfather used to salt down herring when I was growing up. We wouldn't eat it because it was just so salty. I prefer freezing any fish I want to save. With fish markets just around the corner, we usually don't even bother with the freezer. Fish just have that smell that permeates everything.

GardenGal

I have never dehydrated fish. However, I have smoked it outside in a smoker and it come out very tasty. I think the smell in the house would be a bit too much using the dehydrator.