Exploded!

oldieg

We froze several gallons of cider. When I went to open the freezer today I saw a big mess! One of the gallons exploded all over the place.

BrewJen

Oh no, that is terrible. Do you think it was a thermal stress issue, or was the gallon so full that the cider didn't have enough room to expand as it froze?

oldieg

I think it was too full! I tried to tell my hubby that before he stuck it in the freezer. For the most part they were really good at not filling them too full. It is a mess! I think I will have to defrost the entire freezer to clean it.

DIY-Mom

Oldieg, one innovative solution would be to use the frozen cider as ice cubs in a lovely cool drink. But, there might be two small problems with my recommendation: 1) I am not sure if cider does freeze enough to form ice; never tried it myself; and 2) It might be too cold over there in the Northern Hemisphere to drink something cool, not to even mention adding ice cubes to the drink. :D

brewgal

What a mess! I hope you were able to get it cleaned up without having to defrost your entire freezer. DIYMom that is a really good idea. Even if it is too cold you could just freeze the cubes in a Ziploc bag for later.

oldieg

It did not explode in ice cubes. It was more like glass shards (only ice). There is nothing I could use the exploded cider for. I did clean it out this weekend. It took forever but lesson learned!

brewgal

I'll bet your hubby never overfills the gallons again! I have never had a mess like that in the freezer, but I did have a Corning-ware glass dish explode all over my kitchen once.

That really stinks because it probably wasn't super easy to make. I would hate to lose a whole gallon. I usually use my Shark handheld steamer when I have spills in the freezer. It keeps me from having to defrost the entire freezer.