General Tsos Chicken

clarkdart

Has anyone tried this before? We mistakenly added too much of their sauce into the dinner last night and everyone's mouth was on fire. I wonder if we can get a mild sauce for it or make our own, everything else was good but the sauce was a tad too much.

BeerPong

I love General Tso's Chicken. It is usually my go-to meal when ordering from a Chinese restaurant. I love heat and spice so the more the better. If my mouth isn't on fire then the dish has failed me and I will be disappointed.

clarkdart

I have been trying to find out some of the other sauces but our closest store tends to run out of them too quick even when we ask them to order more before hand. The chicken is pretty decent for coming out of a bag but I would love to make it on my own.

OhioTom76

When you say "coming out of a bag" did you mean you bought a General Tso's Chicken meal kit in the frozen food section?

I've never been able to make homemade Chinese sauces that taste as good as the ones from Chinese takeout places. But a homemade recipe would still probably be better than the ones included in frozen meals.

I think General Tso's sauce is basically just a Teryaki sweetened up with a little more brown sugar, then you add some minced ginger and chili paste to taste, and thicken it all with a corn starch slurry. Just go easy on the ginger and especially the chili paste until you get it to your liking.

Another idea would be to maybe try cooking with Oyster Sauce instead. It's not sweet like General Tso's, it's more savory. However it's not hot at all, and it has a similar viscosity to it along with a rich flavor.

brewgal

You wouldn't be a chef there would you OhioTom? My hubby is in culinary school, and your description of how to make that sounded just like him when he is telling me what they are working on. I like General Tso's chicken, but I have not tried to make it at home. We are getting really good at making fried rice though. The trick to that one was buying Sesame oil. ;)

clarkdart

Yes I tried one of the meal kits and it was pretty decent, not as good as home made though. A friends mother had a stash of sauce dishes and they were lost in a house fire, she is the only person I know that can make amazing sauces like I am trying to re-create.