Glass balls and bottles

oldieg

Every time I go to a craft show I see these blown glass balls. I love them. I am sure the people are making them somehow. I don't know how. Does anyone know how to make these? I want to try to do it. I don't want to pay $40 for one. I also love the glass bottles. I know these aren't made but I love the way they decorate or paint them.

masksis

I looked online, because I was curious too after reading your post, and I couldn't find a way without using a glass blowing technique. I had assumed it would have to be blown, but wanted to check before I replied. I'm sure you can easily find tutorials for painting the glass bottles online.

BrewJen

Yes, I think you would need glass blowing equipment to make the balls. Perhaps you could find a local studio that rents out equipment and supplies. I'd love to try it myself but am not aware of any glass blowers in the area.

oldieg

Oh... I do have a place near me that does this. It is expensive though. I was really hoping there was a different way. Oh well I guess I will just have to buy a couple of them.

BrewJen

If you can figure out a way to afford it, though, oldieg, it would be such a neat experience! It'd be like an early Christmas present for yourself. ;)

oldieg

I wouldn't mind paying for my own but I was thinking of gifting some to friends. Just too much money though. I can still try my hand at glass bottles though.

clarkdart

I have always wanted to play around with this as a hobby but I have a feeling I would do a horrible job at it. Does anyone know how long it takes to learn this skill or can anyone really do it?

carolyn

I have always enjoyed watching people blow glass and make candles when we go to craft fairs. I could probably learn how to make the candles, but I will just have to buy my blown glass.

BrewJen

I have always wanted to play around with this as a hobby but I have a feeling I would do a horrible job at it. Does anyone know how long it takes to learn this skill or can anyone really do it?
It's definitely a skill so I wouldn't expect to be good at it initially. People spend years learning how to work with glass if they are pursuing it as a career.

corked

You can get the glass balls fairly inexpensively at a craft store. I don't believe they're truly handblown, but they look it by the time you finish decorating them. It can be a bit tricky to paint the inside but a simple marbleized finish isn't very difficult yet looks amazing.