Grape leaves and pickles?

I found a grape vine in my back yard yesterday, and I did some research and discovered that people would put grape leaves in with their pickles. Does anyone know why?

Jude

I did a little research on this and found that grape leaves are supposed to help keep the pickles crisp. It seems the tannins in the leaves have some affect on the crispness aspect. I've never heard of this but hey, if you have the leaves, give it a go.

I just so happen to be growing cucumbers in the backyard as well. Assuming that I grew the correct cucumbers, I may just take your advice!

Otherwise, if the leaves have tannins in them, does that mean that they can be used as tea?

Jude

Yes. It can be used for tea. Grape leaf tea is good for stomachaches, diarrhea, and thrush. I didn't know this till just a few minutes ago. Thanks for the question. It encouraged me to look it up.

Jude

Yes. It can be used in tea. Grape leaf tea is good for stomachaches, diarrhea, and thrush. I didn't know this until just a few minutes ago. Thanks for the question. It encouraged me to look it up. :)

That sounds awesome! We picked our first cucumber yesterday. I'm still not sure if it's a pickling cucumber. I really want to try out the grape leaf crisper.