Guinness Black Lager

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Ok, I'm a huge Guinness fan, I love the stuff. The posters are great, the beer is good, and in general when I can afford it, it is my beer when on tap.

So today I was at the grocery store and wanted something different. The weather is a little chili, 70's low 80's and at night it has been great sitting outside watching some TV. Looking through the selection my eyes fall upon Guinness Black Lager. Great a thought, I'll give it a shot and picked up a six pack.

Just opened it. Smell is good. Did not get as much head pouring it into my pint glass as Guinness Draught. The taste. It just tastes sort of off to me. Almost like a black and tan from Yuengling. Not that I do not mind, but it just seems sort of off in some way. Not sure if it is the mild roast or chocolate flavor of it or not.

It will not be my first choice. It is not horrible where I cannot drink it. I could be the fish I had for dinner setting off the flavor, not real sure. I'll give it another shot on another night.

wild

Are you a fan of any other Schwarzbiers?
If you aren't familiar with them, maybe a
side-by-side comparison is needed.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
Not familiar with them. Where I am you can only typically find the big brewers in the stores. Not many places, even liquor stores carry small brewers.

I may have to check next time I head over to Texas. There was two places we went to that had a ton of smaller brewers beers. Even found flavors of "larger" brewers we could not find here.