Ham Glaze

There's a ham in the oven right now! It came with it's own glaze that has to be added toward the end of the cooking time. It seems that I used to make my own glaze many years ago and can't remember what the ingredients were. Do you have a favorite glaze recipe?

Georgie

Well, we had exactly the same as you. It was a honey glaze that was provided when I bought the ham, and it tasted delicious however, I did add some home made mustard, which was a big improvement.

SecondCup

It’s my aunt who is in charge of the ham for the family Christmas dinner. I think she makes it simple. For the glaze, she just mixes mustard with brown sugar and cider vinegar.

FrostyMug

Speaking of ham glazes, the glaze that came with our ham this year was phenomenal. I never tasted anything so good before. I need to find a good recipe for something similar. I've never tasted a simple recipe such as SecondCup's aunt, so I'll give this a try too.

Sandy

I love a simple brown sugar glaze with a dozen or so cloves stuck into the ham at various intervals. There's nothing quite like the taste of freshly baked ham with a rich glaze coming out of a hot oven.

Georgie

Unfortunately I dislike the taste of cloves, (my mother always put clove oil on an aching tooth when I was a child,) so I wouldn't try this, but I have seen a recipe for a marmalade glaze for ham that looks interesting.

clarkdart

Honey glaze is good but sometimes people make it too sweet for liking. It seems over the years my sweet levels have dropped, I just prefer a hint of sweet now. I think cloves are okay but again, something that can be overdone on accident if the cook is not looking out for it.

brewgal

We usually use a brown sugar and bourbon glaze when we make a ham. I like using honey as well, but I am not a fan of cloves at all.