Healthy gravy

keliber

We know that store-bought gravies contain lots of sodium. How do you make your own gravy in a healthy way? Do you make your gravy from meat drippings or from meat soups?

SandyLynn

There's a "healthy" gravy that actually taste good? :) I usually use the meat drippings add a little flour and water (sometimes milk, depends) when we really want some with our meal.

Surely you jest! There's no such thing as healthy gravy. Being from the south, we start with bacon or sausage drippings, add flour, salt, pepper and whole milk. Serve that up over hot homemade biscuits and you've got breakfast!

BrewJen

I guess homemade gravy would be "healthy" in that it wouldn't contain as much sodium or preservatives, but generally I agree that gravy really isn't healthy.

clarkdart

It may not be healthy but it sure is tasty. And wreckthehalls anyone that does not add biscuits with their gravy should not be allowed to have any. It is the only way to go especially for busy morning breakfast days.

keliber

That is too sad, knowing that there's no such thing as 'healthy' gravy. My father loves putting gravy on his roast meat but he has a high blood pressure so I am looking for healthy gravy recipes.