Herbal Wine

Crema

I have a feeling that there's such a thing as herbal wine. :rolleyes: Has anyone tasted or tried making herbal wine? What herbs or plants can be turned into wine? I suppose herbal wines have some medicinal values.

arcadefire

Nope, I have never even considered herbal wine before. It would be interesting if there was such a thing. If you can turn fruit in to wine can you turn herbs? I would say not without a fruit, but I could be wrong.

treets

Even better some of the crazy types that you could come up with. Depending exactly how it would be after the process i am sure there are many types that would be nice. And then some that you might think are good, until you taste them. I could see it both ways.

arcadefire

I wonder what kind of herbs you could use in wine. Right off the bat I am thinking you could use Rose Hips, don't know if that is true. What other herbs could you use in herbal wine?

angeson

Defender of the swill
I recall seeing a recipe for 'Rosehip Wine'. I've made some from black tea. Man has been playing with fermentation for the most part since he started walking upright,I suspect he's given most things a try.I read an article where a fellow saw all the lovely blossoms from his crape myrtle carpeting the lawn and collected them for a batch of wine. After consulting his extension agent he found they were poisonous and gave up on that one. Whether it be taters or maters or the grasses of the earth an abundance of carbohydrates often stimulates a fermentation.

lani

One can always experiment making herbal wine for medicinal purpose. I never had wine that has a herbal stuff in it but if it really exist then it should be popular among other alcoholic beverages because of its medicinal value.

ColdOneJo

Well, they add herbal enhancements to vitamins and such, so why couldn't one add it to fruits and wines? I don't know if herbs all by themselves can be turned into wine but it would be just as good to add them. You would get the same health benefits.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
LAVENDER WINE

* 1 to 1-1/2 pints lavender flowers
* 2 lb granulated sugar
* 10.5 oz can of Welch's 100% white grape juice frozen concentrate
* 1/2 tsp citric acid
* 1/8 tsp tannin powder
* 7-1/2 pts water
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* Champagne yeast

Boil 1/2 gal water and add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Stir in frozen grape concentrate and return to boil. Immediately pour boiling water over all dry ingredients except yeast in primary. When water cools to lukewarm, add remaining water and sprinkle yeast on top. Cover with cloth and ferment 7 days. Strain out flowers and transfer liquid to secondary. Fit airlock. Ferment 60 days and rack, top up, refit airlock, and allow to sit another 60 days. Rack into bottles and allow to age one year

Mint Wine
* 4 cups mint leaves, tightly packed
* 6 cups granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup lemon juice
* 2 green tea bags
* 1 teaspoon yeast nutrients
* 1 campden tablet
* 1 gallon water
* 1 package wine yeast or champagne yeast

Carrissa

I was actually thinking you could use mint in a wine. Thanks, Jason, for sharing some recipes with us. I might research herbal wines, if I have time later, an I will share whatever I find with everyone.