Homebrew Beer Kit

DIY-Mom

Anyone in the business of selling home beer kits? The basic ingredients (according to the beer experts) are a blend of malted barley, hops and yeast. Are there any other essential ingredients added to the kit or should the home brewer decide on a recipe and then purchase the necessary items?

wild

If a brewer is not ready to create their own recipes, brew kits are a great option. Many gold medals have been won with these kits. When the brewer is ready to move on to the next step, Designing Great Beers is a must read.

DIY-Mom

At this stage we are still in the 'brew kit' category, but I visited the 'Designing Great Beers' website and I like the title 'Brew Like a Monk'. It makes me think differently of monks now. ;) If I am mot mistaken, it was a monk who first made sparkling wine, completely per chance.

wild

I really couldn't say. Believe it or not, even though I may look it, I'm really not that old. :D

DIY-Mom

Your sense of humor is contagious, Wild! I, on the other hand, am that old although I do not look it. The famous quote, "Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!" is attributed to Dom Pierre Pérignon, a French Benedictine monk, who made quality champagne wine in an era when the region's wines were predominantly still red. ;)

William Beckett

With the right kit and the best beer-making recipe, anyone can try making great tasting beer. Even if it is a one shot thing :). Actually these rituals varies from family to family. Some traditional families prefer to use their own ancient recopies for brewing beer. I know one site where I find many unique ancient and new brewing techniques and recopies and that is homebrewtips. net . The great thing about this process is you enjoy it as a hobby not as forced work. My favourite brewing beers are: Bud light lime, Rolling rock and Olympia.