Homemade Applesauce

BrewJen

A friend of mine just gave me a jar of homemade cinnamon applesauce. I can't wait to try it! It looks chunkier than the store-bought version but I bet it's tastier.

HelenWheels

I'm sure it is much tastier! I don't know why I don't make homemade applesauce more often. Oh, wait... it's because I hate peeling and slicing all those apples. :D It is worth it, though, both for the taste and for how divine it makes the house smell.

Allhops

Yeah Helen, that's exactly the reason many people don't make it at home! I tend to only make things that I get a high value of gratification for. For me, applesauce does not really hold that value at all. I can buy a store brand that's all natural and tastes fantastic.

@BrewJen, Good for your friend who made it though!

brewgal

I have always wanted to try making applesauce at home, but I never have before. I'll bet my kids would love it, but I would not look forward to peeling the apples though!

melli

Way tastier! I helped my gram make it when I was a kid. She always kept hers super chunky too. She made some with cinnamon and some without. I liked the cinnamon the best. Enjoy and then get her recipe!

BrewJen

Oh, I don't know that I'd want to make it myself. I'd prefer she just continue sending me some! ;) She says she doesn't do it often either, since it is pretty involved and also you need to get multiple apple varieties for better flavor.

oldieg

We make applesauce every year. I go to the local apple orchard and get four or five different varities of apples. I love it chunky too. All of ours has cinnamon in it. My gram used to make it the same way!

StevenJ

I have tried my hand at it and I have to say that peeling all those apples can be a pain. I actually invested in a peeler/corer. It really makes peeling apples for pies, apple butter, apple sauce and eating far easier and you get nice even slices too.

I have never made applesauce, but I have made apple butter. I would think it was a pretty similar process though. I have thought about making it myself, because I really do think homemade stuff tastes better. Besides, that way I can monitor what goes into it.