Homemade Hot Sauce

Do you have a recipe for homemade hot sauce or wing sauce? If so, what is your recipe and how did you make it?

Personally, I have a recipe for homemade wing sauce, which involves combining several national brand hot sauces with Shedd's Spread, and the ratio will vary depending on how hot I want the wings to be. Sometimes I also add minced garlic.

joshuaf

If you want a taste of traditional, Buffalo-Style wing sauce, the recipe is actually incredibly simple:
Combine a cup of your favorite hot sauce with a few drops of lemon juice, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and about 1/4 cup of melted butter (seriously). The result is a rich, stick-to-the-wings sauce that coats your whole mouth with the tangy flavor of hot sauce and gives wings that distinct "Buffalo Wing" style.

A friend of mine also does a great honey-garlic wing sauce with half a cup of honey, 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, a pinch of kosher salt and just a tiny (REALLY TINY) sprinkle of cayenne. The sweet honey mixed with the aromatic garlic, with just a little tickle of heat from the cayenne, makes for an insanely addicting wing sauce.

Jason

Charlie Mops wannabe
Staff member
I want to try this one Porkrastinators pepper Medley Hot Sauce | BBQ Geeks Forum

3 jalapeno peppers
4 habanero peppers
3 cayenne peppers
6 cloves garlic
1 carrot
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
medium saucepan, combine all ingredients, bring to boil
reduce heat to low
simmer until peppers have softened, about 30 minutes
pour mixture into blender and puree until smooth.

OhioTom76

The most basic being Franks Red Hot & Butter to taste, adding Tobasco to it if you want extra hot wings.

I recently tried a variation where it said to add some lemon juice and Old Bay seasoning. I really enjoyed it, it added a surprising depth of flavor. Old Bay has a pretty distinct taste to it, so at first I was a little worried it was going to over power it, but the hot sauce and the lemon juice stood up well to it. The recipe I got that from also said to grill the wings over a smoker, which I don't have, so next time I might add a drop or two of Hickory Liquid Smoke.

I haven't tried this one yet, but it suggested adding Good Seasonings Italian Dressing Mix to the Franks Red Hot and Butter combo. It sounds a bit interesting.

You could make a really basic BBQ sauce, which is good on it's own or can be a starting point to whatever else you would like to put in. It's just ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and Hickory Liquid Smoke. A little Franks Red Hot is great in this too for a hot BBQ. Another interesting variation is to take a plan BBQ sauce such as Kraft, and mix it with some apple butter (That's the recipe for TGI Friday's BBQ sauce btw).

The one I was thinking about trying next is supposedly the recipe for Hooter's wing sauce:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup Butter (softened)
1/2 cup Tabasco Sauce PLUS”PLUS” means this ingredient in addition to the one on the next line, often with divided uses
2 tablespoons Tabasco Sauce
3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
3/4 teaspoon Paprika
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
3/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 tablespoons Chili Sauce

rayne

There is a local restaurant here that has the best wing sauce ever. I asked how they made it and was surprised that it was only some of the wing batter and bottled hot sauce. The wing batter gave it an all over creamy kind of taste. It is really good.