Homemade Mayo?

Belinda

Does anyone here make their own Mayonnaise? I've been tempted to try it but thought I would check here first and see if anyone has some good recipes that I could try.

MssSally

I've been wanting to give this a try myself Belinda so I hope some others pop in here with some good recipes. I love mayo on a lot of things and think it would be great to be able to make up my own. :)

LookingToLearn

I was hoping to find a recipe for this when I checked in here. :( I guess you could just go online and find plenty to choose from. It's just always nice to find someone who has one already and tried it and knows it's good. :)

Starlight

I googled homemade mayonnaise recipes and there are lots of varieties. It's easier than I would have thought. The basic recipe calls for eggs, vinegar, oil, mustard, salt, pepper, sugar, and water. I usually add quite a bit of mustard to salad dressing, so I might try making homemade mustard mayonnaise. They even have recipes for fruit flavored mayonnaise.

Betty

Wow, I did not even realize you could make homemade mayo! I bet it tastes so much better than any store-bought brand. My husband loves mayo on sandwiches, and if I could whip up some homemade mayo he would enjoy it. If I find a good recipe I will post it.

Starlight

When I read about the fruit-flavored homemade mayonnaise, my first reaction was that it wasn't very appetizing. But then, I thought of Waldorf salad! It combines mayonnaise with a lot of things I would have never thought tasted good together like apples, raisins, and celery.

naturally

I make my own Mayo all the time.

I take one egg yolk at room temperature and whisk it in my Kitchen-Aid for a few seconds, Then I add 3/4 cup of oil DROP BY DROP at first into the egg while it's whisking. You have to add drop by drop or it will separate and you will get a curdled mess. The more oil you have added, the faster you can add the oil, but don't get cocky or you will break the emulsification. When the mixture gets too thick, add a teaspoon of white vinegar. Add salt as you like

That's all there is to it!

One tip: I put my oil in a squeezable ketchup bottle that really allows me to control how fast I add the oil and it does not make a mess. I squeeze it so it runs down the side of the bowl which controls the speed that the oil goes into the yolk.

tommy

Those are great tips naturally. My wife makes her own mayo too and I think it really makes all the difference. It is very time consuming so be prepared to take your time over it. We put mustard in for flavor as well as the salt.

clarinda

My mom used to make homemade mayo when we ran out at home. I think she only made it then because she was worried about it spoiling. Back then is the time when people thought mayo made everything spoil faster.

She made it in a food processor and the best I remember it was very quick and easy. At that time she didn't have a Kitchen Aid mixer,so that might work just as well. But, she used the spout to add the oil slowly, somehow.

Georgie

I'd like to say that I make my own, and I'm sure that home made tastes delicious, but I'm lazy and also, I really love the taste of Hellman's! It's made with free range eggs so it should be just as good.

clarkdart

This is something we both talked about but neither is really brave enough to try it. I have found a few recipes that have high reviews on them but a few in the mix still have bad outcomes and I am worried we are going to be one of them.

naturally

Those are great tips naturally. My wife makes her own mayo too and I think it really makes all the difference. It is very time consuming so be prepared to take your time over it. We put mustard in for flavor as well as the salt.
A lot of people put mustard in but I don't like the flavor personally. If you like the flavor of mustard in it then you are in luck because if you add mustard to the egg yolk at the beginning, it helps build a better emulsification and the mayo is more likely to turn out good rather than separating.

daffodil

I love mustard and mayo! It depends on what you're using it with, of course. I wouldn't want mustard on a Waldorf salad! But for most everything I eat with mayonnaise, I use about half the amount of mustard and mix it. I've gotten where I can tell by the color if I have the balance I like.