How hot does the dishwasher have to be?

brewbaby

When sanitizing your smaller equipment and implements, do you use the dishwasher? How hot does it have to be set in order to make sure that it does sterilize everything? I know some things must be washed by hand, but a lot of smaller pieces should be able to go in the dishwasher.

Lars

We depend on our plumber to set the hot water and our dishwasher and never give it another thought. I thought it was all regulated by the hot water heater. We do have an old dishwasher without a lot of fancy settings. We just pray sometimes that it will kick in and go through all of its cycles.

Maverick

What Wild said, but if yours doesn't have one you could always type in something like "Sanitizing water temperature" and just turn up your water heater to that temperature. I imagine that would work, right?

BrewJen

I believe water has to be at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit to sanitize in a dishwasher with a single temperature tank. Other machines require 180 degrees Fahrenheit.

brewbaby

I don't want to set my water heater above 120 degrees for safety sake. I don't believe my dishwasher heats the water on its own, so I better to stick to sanitizing outside the dishwasher.

HelenWheels

I wonder if there is some sort of thermometer (like the kind we use in the oven, but waterproof) that can be run through the dishwasher to check the actual water temperature.