How much priming sugar

D

Dirty Harry

Guest
How much corn sugar would I have to add to about 19L of beer? It calls for
1 tsp for 750ml but I'd rather add it to a clean primary and put my beer in
there and then bottle. Thanks guys.
 
D

Dirty Harry

Guest
"Dirty Harry" <nothin@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:T7puj.54435$Ly.8308@pd7urf1no...
> How much corn sugar would I have to add to about 19L of beer? It calls
> for 1 tsp for 750ml but I'd rather add it to a clean primary and put my
> beer in there and then bottle. Thanks guys.


I'm guessing it's gonna be about 2/3 opf a cup just using some simple
ratios.
 
B

Bill Velek

Guest
Dirty Harry wrote:

> "Dirty Harry" <nothin@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:T7puj.54435$Ly.8308@pd7urf1no...
>
>>How much corn sugar would I have to add to about 19L of beer? It calls
>>for 1 tsp for 750ml but I'd rather add it to a clean primary and put my
>>beer in there and then bottle. Thanks guys.

>
>
> I'm guessing it's gonna be about 2/3 opf a cup just using some simple
> ratios.


I don't know, volume wise; as for weight, I think its supposed to be
about 3 ounces or thereabouts for 5 gallons of beer. For more
precision, I weigh mine in grams rather than ounces, and I now usually
add 130 grams per 4.5 gallon batch, and am very satisfied at that
priming rate -- which comes out to about 5 ounces for 5 gallons,
including the priming mixture. I don't know what the volume of sugar is
for 5 ounces.

Cheers.

Bill Velek - PERSONAL sites = www.velek.com & www.2plus2is4.com
1,040+ members Grow Hops, Barley, Herbs: www.tinyurl.com/29zr8r
850+ homebrewer group just for Equipment: www.tinyurl.com/axuol
Join 'Homebrewers' to Help Cure Disease: www.tinyurl.com/yjlnyv
 
D

Dirty Harry

Guest
"Bill Velek" <billvelek@alltel.net> wrote in message
news:d4938$47bb5669$6214c868$22559@ALLTEL.NET...
> Dirty Harry wrote:
>
>> "Dirty Harry" <nothin@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:T7puj.54435$Ly.8308@pd7urf1no...
>>
>>>How much corn sugar would I have to add to about 19L of beer? It calls
>>>for 1 tsp for 750ml but I'd rather add it to a clean primary and put my
>>>beer in there and then bottle. Thanks guys.

>>
>>
>> I'm guessing it's gonna be about 2/3 opf a cup just using some simple
>> ratios.

>
> I don't know, volume wise; as for weight, I think its supposed to be about
> 3 ounces or thereabouts for 5 gallons of beer. For more precision, I
> weigh mine in grams rather than ounces, and I now usually add 130 grams
> per 4.5 gallon batch, and am very satisfied at that priming rate -- which
> comes out to about 5 ounces for 5 gallons, including the priming mixture.
> I don't know what the volume of sugar is for 5 ounces.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bill Velek - PERSONAL sites = www.velek.com & www.2plus2is4.com
> 1,040+ members Grow Hops, Barley, Herbs: www.tinyurl.com/29zr8r
> 850+ homebrewer group just for Equipment: www.tinyurl.com/axuol
> Join 'Homebrewers' to Help Cure Disease: www.tinyurl.com/yjlnyv


Thanks Bill! I'll be hanging around here a lot more in the future I think.
I'm really excited about getting back into beer making!
 
P

Pumper Hinkle

Guest
According to the book "How to Brew" by John J. Palmer (that came with my
kit), 2/3 cup (3.7 oz.) of white sugar or 3/4 cup (4 oz.) of corn sugar
disolved in 2 cups of water for a 5-gallon batch.

With reference to corn sugar, it also says you can go up to 5 oz. (25% more)
or down to 3 oz. (33% less) depending on if you want more or less
carbonization. I suspect you can also increase or decrease by a similar
proportion using white sugar.
 
D

Dirty Harry

Guest
"Pumper Hinkle" <ralphcompton@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:13rv9np5jsu8jf3@corp.supernews.com...
> According to the book "How to Brew" by John J. Palmer (that came with my
> kit), 2/3 cup (3.7 oz.) of white sugar or 3/4 cup (4 oz.) of corn sugar
> disolved in 2 cups of water for a 5-gallon batch.
>
> With reference to corn sugar, it also says you can go up to 5 oz. (25%
> more) or down to 3 oz. (33% less) depending on if you want more or less
> carbonization. I suspect you can also increase or decrease by a similar
> proportion using white sugar.



Well I ended up using 2/3 since I didn't get an answer back in time lol. I
tried one out today (only about about week in the bottle) and it had mild
carbonation but I'm hoping it will ferment out a little over the next week.
The taste was great though so even if I don't get any more bubbles this
batch won't last too long :) It was only 19L which is less then 5 gallons
so it should get a few more bubbles.
Cheers
 
B

Bill Velek

Guest
Dirty Harry wrote:

snip

> Well I ended up using 2/3 since I didn't get an answer back in time lol.


I noticed that no one with the user name 'Dirty Harry' has posted
anything over on the Usenet group rec.crafts.brewing. Does your news
service carry that group, because there is a whole lot more traffic over
there, and you're likely to be able to get answers much more quickly. I
only occasionally check this group because there isn't as much activity.

Cheers.

Bill Velek - PERSONAL sites = www.velek.com & www.2plus2is4.com
1,100+ members Grow Hops, Barley, Herbs: www.tinyurl.com/29zr8r
860+ homebrewer group just for Equipment: www.tinyurl.com/axuol
Join 'Homebrewers' to Help Cure Disease: www.tinyurl.com/yjlnyv
 
Top