Icicle pickles

Jude

Anyone out there ever made icicle pickles? They have a sweet/tart flavor that makes your mouth water if you think about them. I remember helping mom make these as a kid but have forgotten how. If you have a tried and true recipe and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd love to have it. Thanks!

BrewJen

I haven't heard of icicle pickles before. Where do they get their name? Are they similar to refrigerator pickles?

My parents always made lime pickles. Yum!

Jude

I'm not sure where the name comes from BrewJen and they may be a little like refrigerator pickles. You do can these though so you don't have to keep them refrigerated. I found the recipe below that is similar to my mom's I think. A trip to the local farmers market this weekend is in order here. The more I think about these pickles, the more I'd like to have some.
Ingredients

4 pounds 4 to 6-inch cucumbers, cut into quarters lengthwise
Canning salt 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Water 2 Quart
Mixed spices 1 1/2 Tablespoon
Sugar 5 Cup (16 tbs)
Vinegar 5 Cup (16 tbs)
Directions

Put cucumber strips in a clean pickling container.
Add salt to water and bring to a boil.
Pour over cucumbers.
Weight cucumbers under brine.
Cover container and let stand 1 week in a cool place.
Drain, discarding brine; rinse cucumbers thoroughly.
Cover with boiling water; let stand 24 hours.
Drain.
Cover with boiling water.
Cover; let stand 24 hours.
Drain.
Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag.
Add to sugar and vinegar; bring to a boil.
Pour over cucumbers; cover and let stand 24 hours.
Drain pickling liquid; bring liquid to a boil and pour over cucumbers.
Repeat this step each day for 4 days.
Pack pickles into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space.
Remove spice bag.
Bring pickling liquid to a boil.
Pour hot liquid over pickles, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
Remove air bubbles.
Adjust caps.
Process pints and quarts 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

Nicky

I've always like the combination of sweet and tart, and that recipe sounds very good. That would add a very interesting twist to a regular hamburger.

melli

Lime pickles sound pretty interesting. Care to share that recipe with us? I'm going to try my hand at these icicle pickles too. They sound easy enough to make. I make sweet and dill pickles already.

oldieg

These sound amazing! Lime and icicle pickles both. I haven't had much luck with pickles but I am going to give this recipe a try. I usually don't slice my pickles very thin but that could be the problem.

BrewJen

Unfortunately I don't have the recipe for lime pickles. It's a closely guarded family secret and my parents haven't seen fit to share it with me yet because they are silly.