Is anyone making homemade gifts this year?

brewgal

Is anyone here making homemade gifts for Christmas this year? I have been collecting ideas on Pinterest all year and there are quite a few homemade gifts I plan to make for Christmas. A lot of them are homemade bath salts and scrubs, and some are recipes in a jar.

I make goodie baskets every year myself. This year, I am also making 8 pairs of slippers and 6 pairs of fingerless mittens for the people on my list. It makes it easier to get some people crossed off the list without spending a lot of money. When you have 30 people on your shopping list you need to costs wherever you can.

clarkdart

We had a request to make and give away tree decorations. A family member ending up relocating from one country to another and lost their entire collection. Now they want to start a new one and we will have first picks at what to make and where to hang it on the tree.

I started last spring making crocheted bath cloths. During the summer I made homemade jelly and now I'm crocheting sashay scarves. I really think homemade is the best. You tend to appreciate those gifts more.

brewgal

I really, really want to learn how to crochet so that I can make scarves and things like that. I am having my kids decorate on some plain white dishes and mugs with colored Sharpies. Then you take them and bake them in the oven to make the color stay on permanently. I thought we could make some homemade cookies to put on the plates, and maybe do mugs with hot chocolate mix.

That's a great idea brewgal! I used to help my kids make these for their teachers and in the process, I made several to give to close friends. It's not the amount the gift costs, rather the thought behind it. I like you homemade cookie idea too. We get lots of homemade goodies throughout the Christmas season. I put them in the freezer and have goodies for quite some time afterwards.

Another thought just came to mind. We used to fill a coffee cup with peppermints, stick two candy canes up in the middle, wrap it up in clear cellophane and tie with a pretty red ribbon. This is a simple gift to make too and just as appreciated by teachers and friends.

clarkdart

We are going to try and make some decorations for the tree this year with painted balls and then everyone will get a few to decorate themselves. After that we are going to try and do a themed family set, it should be interesting since no one in the home is an artist.

TryAnything

My kids are making painting for my parents this year. I was going to have them do it for all the grandparents, but my husband's sisters decided that we should just all pool and get them a big gift. I can honestly say that it drives me nuts when they do that. I had this planned out since last Christmas.