Is mead similar to beer?

brewbaby

I've never even tasted mead, but I've always thought it was a type of beer, just like lagers or ales. Is that not the case? Is it harder to make than ordinary beer?

wild

Mead has the consistency of wine. It normally has a high alcohol (10-19%) and can be served still or sparkling, dry, semi-sweet, or sweet. As for difficulty, a traditional mead is simply water, honey, and yeast. The hardest part about making mead is learning patience.

HelenWheels

I've heard that it's sort of an acquired taste. I have a friend that has made it a few times, but I never got to try it. He makes it for when he goes to special festivals. I didn't know it has so few ingredients.

wild

I've heard that it's sort of an acquired taste. I have a friend that has made it a few times, but I never got to try it.
There are a variety of commercial meads available pretty much everywhere now a days. Stop by your favorite bottle store and try some.

corked

I'll have to try some commercial products before attempting to make it, I guess. Mead isn't very popular in America, or at least not in my area, so I've never had it. Best see if I even like it before I attempt to actually brew some.

wild

Mead wasn't very popular here but has gained in ground since the '60s. There's probably over 200 meaderies in the US today.

Thanks for all that good information Wild. I had some of the same questions about mead and have meant to see if our local liquor store carries it. Sounds like a good weekend project.

Georgie

I find the popular varieties a little too sweet for my taste. It is honey wine after all! Strangely, although it originated here in the UK, I tasted the best mead ever when I was in Alaska a few years ago. Here's their website.