Keeping jars from breaking when canning

oldieg

I've had some friends encounter some problems with breaking jars when they have been canning this year. I thought a post about tips on how to keep your jars from breaking would be a good thing. I'll start with some ideas - toss your own in too.
  • Never can a jar that isn't full (half empty)
  • Temperature changes are bad too. If you are canning in a hot water boil, don't ever put a cold jar right into the hot water. You will more than likely end up with a broken jar and a mess.

melli

Great post... another is to never use metal tongs on hot jars. You want to always use the rubber tipped tons when taking the hot jars out of the canner.

oldieg

That is a good one too. I used metal tongs once and I had a huge mess to clean. Here are a couple more:

• Make sure you have a controlled boil. When your water is boiling to high it causes the jars to move around and knock into each other.
  • Use a canning rack. This keeps the jars up off the direct heat of the stove. The rack serves as a buffer to protect the jars.
Anything else?

BrewJen

Why would canning a jar that isn't full lead to breakage? I would have thought one that was too full would be more likely to break, rather than the other way around.

clarkdart

Temperature is one that my brother talks to me about all of the time, or slipped fingers. I call them butterfingers but he has been stuck on "slipped" since his son starting helping him can. The good ole nephew of mine was moving too quick and had dry hands, so, it slipped. :rolleyes:

melli

The pressure is not right when your jar is not full. Same thing when it's too full. That would cause the jar to break! Ha! "slipped" or butterfingers... so true. You have to be careful with this because the liquid inside is so hot!