Longevity of Fruit

BrewJen

Someone told me the other day that I shouldn't store cut-up fruit in the fridge for more than 4 days. Is this a rule? I've kept it for a week before with no issues.

I have yet to have heard anything like this. I personally always eat what I cut immediately rather than letting it sit for a while. I do know that citric acid can help to keep the fruit, like apples, from browning as bad.

RobertMcC

I'll be in big trouble then. I use fruit until it's turned rotten and then I will usually cut off the bad pieces and eat the good that's left. I will even eat strawberries that are semi soft. I don't have a problem with it and I'm still alive, though many have tried to remedy that.

Georgie

If you use common sense about whatever you eat, you will be fine. Our senses of sight and smell tell us if something isn't fit to eat and have done for as many years as man has been on this planet.:)

BrewJen

I didn't know citric acid prevented browning. Do you soak the apple slices in lemon juice or something? How much do you use? Doesn't it affect the taste?

Jessi

I'll be in big trouble then. I use fruit until it's turned rotten and then I will usually cut off the bad pieces and eat the good that's left. I will even eat strawberries that are semi soft. I don't have a problem with it and I'm still alive, though many have tried to remedy that.
So long as you're comfortable with it, then you're fine.

In general, yeah, a few days is about the limit that you would go. If the fruit still looks fine beyond that, then so be it. It often starts going bad, though, so that's when you'd need to toss it.

From what I remember from middle school, you need only to put a squirt or so of lemon juice on the fruit. You don't have to soak them in it or anything like that, just enough to cover the fruit.