Low budget Rose'

angeson

Defender of the swill
I fired up a batch of strawberry a few days back so I thought I'd make something else so straw wouldn't have to grow up alone.I had a 1/2 gallon of welches on the shelf so I got a couple cans of Welch's white grape concentrate added them to a bucket with 9 lbs of sugar and water to 5 gallons. This may be a bit thin but variety is the spice. A tablespoon of tannin and 1 of acid blend. Prepare some bentonite,sprinkle some yeast and let it roll. I've got some French oak chips and some blackberry flavoring to add to the secondary. When I go off on these off the top of my head recipes I always wonder when tasting time comes, will I consider myself Einstein or Frankenstein? :confused:Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day.

angeson

Defender of the swill
This worked off and cleared just fine but wasnt really special. So as long as I'm playing after stabilizing I added another 1/2 gal of concord and a bottle of overdone blackberry wine from the cellar.I gave it another week to settle and I'm real happy with it. I bottled it today and with a little aging I think it will be nice. And at less than $3 per gallon it makes me think about all the wine on America's shelves and wonder; what is it really worth?

brewgal

Both of them sound pretty decent to me. I was actually thinking about what wine really costs these big vineyards to make it the other day as I walked down the aisle in the grocery store.

WineMaker

This actually does sound really good. With the strawberries being so reasonable here i think I may try some strawberry wine soon.

angeson

Defender of the swill
I've got a great tip for strawberry wine,I may have invented a process. After making 5 gals of strawberry I wasn't satisfied with the faint flavor and color of the batch so after stabilizing the wine I added a gallon strawberry puree as a flavor pack. I had to add another pectic enzyme and clarifier but the result was a nice color ,flavor and nose.

clarkdart

It does sound yummy and I would try it at least once. What is tannin though? I am wondering if it is something I know but maybe by another word??

angeson

Defender of the swill
Tannin is a brown bitter substance common to grape seeds and red grape skins.When making thin wines tannin will help it not appear to be a koolade wine if that makes any sense. Tea might be a better example of tannin. In Florida our brown lakes are stained with tannin leached from cypress trees.

angeson

Defender of the swill
I've got a great tip for strawberry wine,I may have invented a process. After making 5 gals of strawberry I wasn't satisfied with the faint flavor and color of the batch so after stabilizing the wine I added a gallon strawberry puree as a flavor pack. I had to add another pectic enzyme and clarifier but the result was a nice color ,flavor and nose.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>I bottled 1/2 of the low budget rose batch to see what it would mature into. The other 1/2 I stirred into the lees from the strawberry puree and left if to clear. I am surprised how nice it came out.